• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone load any subsonic .338 Federal?

For subsonic, I'd load dead soft cast lead bullets as one uses for muzzleloader bullets and powder coat the portion of the projectiles that contacts the barrel, leaving the top bare. You can cast about 200 bullets per hour and have the best of both worlds if they will feed and chamber. I've shot 1000s of lead bullets in a semiautomatic.

Several companies are doing barrels for the SIG Cross in various calibers, including .338 Federal, which has always interested me.

Subs are a basically a matter of velocity, regardless of bullet weight. By using a .338 I’ll have a good selection of bullets. Pushing a 300grn bullet at 1000fps will still have some thump to it.

If I only shoot subsonics, I can even use certain 9mm cans to suppress it.

I plan on SBR’ing my Cross, and having a selection of long and short barrels for it.
Ive got a bunch of hornady 338 250 grn I picked up in a trade Im willing to sell. Just let me know. Thks

For subsonic, I'd load dead soft cast lead bullets as one uses for muzzleloader bullets and powder coat the portion of the projectiles that contacts the barrel, leaving the top bare. You can cast about 200 bullets per hour and have the best of both worlds if they will feed and chamber. I've shot 1000s of lead bullets in a semiautomatic.

I’ll be running it suppressed 100% of the time.

Twitch2120 said:

<<
Besides twist rate, the only other tidbit I have is if you find accuracy to be somewhat lacking, try seating the bullet backwards. I loaded 210 gr 308 vld that refused to group well until they went butt first. No idea what witchcraft that was.
>>

I have to ask: What in the world made you think of that? I have only tried "backwards bullets" once (148 Hollow Base Wadcutters to see what that huge cavity would do upon impact), but I've got to give credit for highly original thinking for coming up with loading rifle bullets backwards!

Twitch2120 said:

<<
Besides twist rate, the only other tidbit I have is if you find accuracy to be somewhat lacking, try seating the bullet backwards. I loaded 210 gr 308 vld that refused to group well until they went butt first. No idea what witchcraft that was.
>>

I have to ask: What in the world made you think of that? I have only tried "backwards bullets" once (148 Hollow Base Wadcutters to see what that huge cavity would do upon impact), but I've got to give credit for highly original thinking for coming up with loading rifle bullets backwards!
Wasn't my idea unfortunately. Read it on a forum when someone else was trying the same thing. Some one mentioned VLD style bullets sometimes don't like the low speed low drag thing but turning them around will help. In my case atleast, random internet guy was right

Update: the development of the 8.6 Blackout has killed any enthusiasm I had for experimenting with subsonic .338 Federal.

Waiting on someone to come out with a good 12”, 1:3” twist, 8.6Blk barrel for the SIG Cross.

Update: the development of the 8.6 Blackout has killed any enthusiasm I had for experimenting with subsonic .338 Federal.

Waiting on someone to come out with a good 12”, 1:3” twist, 8.6Blk barrel for the SIG Cross.
this is on my list...wanna built an 8.6 shorty...don't know what action I want...but a cross action SBR'd sounds just fine.

Funny but I saw this thread and thought why not just get 8.6BO?

Check with Mos-tek I bet he will be set up to make 8.6 barrels soon. I have one of his 1:5 300 barrels I'm going to build soon

Not sure how different the Cross barrel is but if it's similar to the LMT MRP D Wilson might be a good option if it has an odd extension?

Funny but I saw this thread and thought why not just get 8.6BO?

Check with Mos-tek I bet he will be set up to make 8.6 barrels soon. I have one of his 1:5 300 barrels I'm going to build soon

Not sure how different the Cross barrel is but if it's similar to the LMT MRP D Wilson might be a good option if it has an odd extension?
SIG Cross is a bolt action

Back
Top Bottom