• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone on here ever add an addition to your home? Any General Contractors?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I have a single story brick ranch house that is a 3/2. I want to add a master BDRM, master bath and walk in closet. 16 x 30 = 480sqft.

Anyone on here ever acted as your own General Contractor? Anyone on here a draftsman that can draw up plans/

I am having zero luck down in this area trying to locate a good GC and nearly at the point of saying screw it and do it myself.

Whatever you do, be sure that the new addition has a good foundation. Otherwise, the addition may pull on the existing structure cracking walls and buckling floors.

I just did this exact thing.

Added a 28 x 30 addition to a brick ranch, built in the 60's. Even put a basement under the new addition. Original house has no basement.

New addition is a master bedroom, bathroom and closet.

I drew my own plans and acted as my own GC, with help from an actual GC friend.

Not a piece of cake, but not overly difficult...

Do it yourself, but make sure your subs know what they're doing!

Attachments

• Before - 1 .JPG
    Before - 1 .JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Before - 2.JPG
    Before - 2.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Before - 3.JPG
    Before - 3.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Before - 4.JPG
    Before - 4.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Before - 5.JPG
    Before - 5.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 89
Hiccup in the process;

grader error.....

Grader wasn't watching the weather and didn't quite finish a proper draining away from the foundation grade one day before going home. That night, it rained harder than it had for years. There is a "mountain" behind our house. Water came off it and filled the new basement. Took weeks to dry out (finally pumped it out...). Was about a week before the concrete company could pull their mold trailer out.

Still have higher humidity in the basement than I think should be... It can't take over a year for the concrete to dry out, can it? Finally installed a mini-split in the basement which keeps it between 40% and 50% now. Stop running it and it jumps to 70% overnight...

Attachments

• Before - 6.JPG
    Before - 6.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 87

Added a 28 x 30 addition to a brick ranch, built in the 60's. Even put a basement under the new addition. Original house has no basement.

My house was built in 1977 and I have already sourced the brick and an excellent brick mason.

What did you use to draw your own plans?

I don't think I'll be installing a basement though. 4' down and hitting water is probably better suited for a pool.

What was final cost per sqft to finish?

Back
Top Bottom