• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone other than me know what's going on here?

images

What are these guys doing?

john deere tractor hell....we used a dang mule

Wasn't actually a complete tractor... was a "cane-makin' rig" with just an early John Deere engine and steel wheel mounted on a concrete pedestal. You then stuffed the cane stalks between the steel wheel and the concrete pad, to crush the cane and squeeze the juice.

It all brings back some great memories. I used to go peddlin' with my Uncle Clifford, with him driving that sweet 1966 green and white custom (F100 maybe or just plain custom) Ford to LaGrange, selling fresh eggs and home made cakes and pies to the "uppity ups" (Callways, and the likes) out of the back of his truck. Those were the days... I think he paid me about a dollar a day, but the tips from the maids made it worthwhile - could rake in $2 on a good day.

When I was a child my grandfather still pressed cane using a cane press at the farm in Johnson County. It was powered by a mule and a drunk uncle that would scream at the mule if it slow down.
Johnson County, Ga? That’s where you from? If so what’s it like being from the same county as the greatest citizen in the history of this state.

Back
Top Bottom