• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone other than me know what's going on here?

I always felt sorry for the old mule.

then I got educated, got a job, realized what it was like going in circles all day without getting anywhere, and I felt sorrier for the mule.

South Georgia, they used evaporators a lot.

Narrow pan with baffles, set up on a grade. juice went in one end, flowed down through the baffles, and syrup came out the other end.

My dad loved sorghum molasses, especially this time of year when he would have it on pumpkin pie. I love it too, but since becoming Type 2 DM, got to steer clear. As a kid my mom would mix butter and molasses up and put it on my breakfast toast. Yummy.

Now you dun got me started... mixing that soft fresh butter, right from the churn, with some sorghum or Diamond Joe (made in Roanoke AL), swirling it, then sliding my fresh buttered biscuit through that black and gold puddle of sweetness, with it dripping off the sides of the biscuit and down my chin... yum, yum!!

My dad loved sorghum molasses, especially this time of year when he would have it on pumpkin pie. I love it too, but since becoming Type 2 DM, got to steer clear. As a kid my mom would mix butter and molasses up and put it on my breakfast toast. Yummy.

After school snack was a cold biscuit, turned sideways, poke a hole in the side with your finger, fill with sorghum and butter. Better than any Twinkie that ever existed.

It once was quite a fall family affair to go to the cane festival and get some raw sugar cane, cane juice and fresh made cane syrup. Oh for those good old days.

In a few years to come maybe it will be the thing to go pick your own cannibus from the field.

It all brings back some great memories. I used to go peddlin' with my Uncle Clifford, with him driving that sweet 1966 green and white custom (F100 maybe or just plain custom) Ford to LaGrange, selling fresh eggs and home made cakes and pies to the "uppity ups" (Callways, and the likes) out of the back of his truck. Those were the days... I think he paid me about a dollar a day, but the tips from the maids made it worthwhile - could rake in $2 on a good day.
Where did yall start the journey? My Grandfather worked for Mr Callaway when he was beginning his farm. That was after working in the area at a CCC camp.

i.dawn.com_large_2015_01_54b3187b716ef.jpg

That looks like Afghanistan County, Georgia.

Back
Top Bottom