• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ANYONE RELOADING 6.5-300WBY MAG

YOTESHOOTER

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
60   0
Reaction score
Any one loading the 6.5-300 Wby mag.

Looking at powder, seating depth, bullet you may be using.

Thanks, for any ideas or direction you could suggest...

Thank you, in advance...

YOTESHOOTER

I do love a good 'because we can' cartridge. The little bit of reading i've done implies copious amounts of slow burning powder so pick your favorite flavor at the end of the spectrum and play with it. what gun? you are probably limited by mag length for seating depth.

Any one loading the 6.5-300 Wby mag.

Looking at powder, seating depth, bullet you may be using.

Thanks, for any ideas or direction you could suggest...

Thank you, in advance...

YOTESHOOTER

Ahhh.....welcome to the Brotherhood! Lol!. I have the 6.5-300 in a Mark V Ultralight topped with a Nightforce SHV 5-20 x56 myself. I found an issue of Handloader magazine awhile back that featured the 6.5-300. They tried several bullets in it, but the Barnes 127gr LRX is the shining star in the 6.5-300. Of all the different powders, Hodgdon US869 is the only one that would come close to mimicking the factory loads with the 127gr LRX. US869 also seems to provide the best accuracy in most of the other bullets tested as well. The 127gr LRX seats a bit deeper than you'd think. I started out loading 40rds of 140gr Sierra Spitzer for breaking in the rifle, then switched to the 127gr LRX. I had a box of factory 127gr and a box I loaded. Both grouped the same at 100yds, but I could tell my handloads were a teensy bit hotter than the factory. They were grouping maybe 1/4" or so higher than factory. I was only getting 1"-1 1/2" groups, but that was expected. This round has yaw and isn't stabilized at 100yds. It really needs to be zeroed at 200 or 300 yds.

Here's the recipe I went with, it performs as well, if not slightly better than factory. I plan on neck sizing when I reload them. So that should make accuracy better as well.

6.5-300 Weatherby

Weatherby brass

Federal GM215M ( gold medal match large magnum rifle) primers

94.0 grains of Hodgdon US869 (93.0 - 94.0 is what was suggested as accuracy loads)

Barnes 127gr LRX

C.O.A.L. - 3.500"

If you need to know anything else just hit me up, there were several different bullets tested. It was in the December 2016 issue of Handloader magazine. Good luck and happy loading/shooting!

P.s.- they were using a Mark V Accumark as a test weapon in the article from Handloader magazine.

Sheesh-- I ruin 6.5x284 barrels in less than a thousand rounds. The first reasonably-accurate load you come across, STOP. You can trivially wear out the barrel before you find a great load, which I have done in 6.5x284.

Frankly, I'd shoot factory in that caliber. You're paying probably .50-1.00 dollars per shot in barrel life as it is.

Sheesh-- I ruin 6.5x284 barrels in less than a thousand rounds. The first reasonably-accurate load you come across, STOP. You can trivially wear out the barrel before you find a great load, which I have done in 6.5x284.

Frankly, I'd shoot factory in that caliber. You're paying probably .50-1.00 dollars per shot in barrel life as it is.
The factory 127gr LRX ammo is $90 per 20rds! Loading it is definitely cheaper. Barrel life is approximately 400-500 rounds from what I've read. Letting it cool off between shots would definitely help extend the barrel life. Oddly the faster, the more accurate with this one from what I can tell. The 140gr Sierra stepped down had mediocre accuracy, the factory Weatherby 127gr LRX was way more accurate and a good bit faster. My handloads with the 127gr LRX were a tad bit hotter than factory and slightly better accuracy than factory ammo. It's definitely not one to shoot on a regular basis unless you have barrel money put back, lol!

Back
Top Bottom