• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ANYONE RELOADING 6.5-300WBY MAG

We have the gun set up completely with scope, 20 moa rail, procured the US869 IN A KEG, GM215M, WEATHERBY BRASS, BRASS TRIMMED with GIRAUD'S BIG BOY TRIMMER, DOUG MADE US A 6.5/300 BRASS HOLDER,for the BIG BOY TRIMMING TOY...

We are going to try some BARNES 120 gr, TTSX, NOSLER 120 gr, ACCUBOND'S. see how they work, then some BARNE'S 127 GR. LRX, really do not like HORNADY BULLETS. Great for paper not so much for hunting (our experience).

So now its off to the bench with, ammo, dewey cleaning rods, cleaning solvent, jags, nylon brushes, cleaning patches, and the patch hawg to catch the solvent and dirty patches.

We have a private range so no distractions, nobody hanging on our shoulder while doing the tests, shoot, clean, allow to cool, load, shoot, clean, allow to cool. Have (2) buddy's guns to break in, which will fill the the time of cooling between guns.

We are loading 5) 140 ACCUBOND NOSLER, TO SEE WHAT THE LITTLE SPEED DEMON WILL DO...
The published data wasn't out when I was developing mine. We used QL to work up all the loads we tried. Looking at the data previously posted and the Barnes published info I would say that all of it is very conservative. We went well past those loadings and didn't experience any troubling effects.
Also, I saw where you mentioned minimal meat damage. I made the mistake of body shooting a buck with mine at 60 to 65 yds. Trauma and bloodshot was pretty bad. I will stick to neck shots inside of 100 from now on.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

HILLBILLY HEADBANGER,

The test drive of the 6.5/300WBY, was a delightful experience, US869, 120 ACCUBONDS, GM215M Primers, were just what the doctor prescribed, what a great recipe that was, took 3 shots to get into the bullseye, then it was scrubbing time about 12-15 minutes, another 10 minutes and the the barrel cooled off good and cold to the touch.

We had the target set-up at 110 yards. Two witnesses, REMMY, and Labman1, with us so it was a great time, plenty plenty of fun, laughter, just a good time was had by all. We target had the big bullseye in the middle, with the small diamonds on the extreme outside corners of the target. The 6.5/300 WBY, put the next two outside the lower left diamond on the left just outside the diamond. Make a correction to the scope, those two just above the top of the diamond, Then scrubbing the barrel, using our patch hawg, to catch patches, and the solvent used.

The next two shot, just to the left of the cross hairs inside the diamond. The "LITTLE SPEED DEMON" was really a delight to shoot. As most will already know, the 25 calibers, and 264/6.5 calibers have do not really kick, they have a rise to them like the fully auto M16's, much like a chain saw revving up.

We shot a total of 20 shots over a five hour time period, while working with a SAVAGE, Model 12 LRP, that was fun also, the total weight of that gun dressed out was 14.5 pounds heavy yes, and l@@ks like it gonna be a great shooter also too.

Played with a friends .308, he said he wanted to shoot a 130 gr. Barnes TTSX, and 130 TSX, had been told the rifle would not shoot that bullet, would not stabilize, would not group, the one who told him that showed up as we were dialing it in and was amazed, it was driving groups that a dime would cover.

All in All, it was a great day. Any day at the range is a great day, sometimes things just come together and sometimes they do not, which ever its still a good way to cleanse the the mind, relax the tensions each and everyone has in their daily life. Because the mind CANNOT FOCUS, on two things at the same time, can not be done...

If todays result is what to come on 6.5'300, we can't wait to see how the beast will really shoot!!!

HILLBILLY HEADBANGER, we THANK YOU, for your geat information, and very helpful information, we certainly appreciate it..

We "TIP OUR HAT: to you, and Thank you, again very much we are L@@KING forward to more good days of shooting to come...

YOTESHOOTER

HILLBILLY HEADBANGER,

The test drive of the 6.5/300WBY, was a delightful experience, US869, 120 ACCUBONDS, GM215M Primers, were just what the doctor prescribed, what a great recipe that was, took 3 shots to get into the bullseye, then it was scrubbing time about 12-15 minutes, another 10 minutes and the the barrel cooled off good and cold to the touch.

We had the target set-up at 110 yards. Two witnesses, REMMY, and Labman1, with us so it was a great time, plenty plenty of fun, laughter, just a good time was had by all. We target had the big bullseye in the middle, with the small diamonds on the extreme outside corners of the target. The 6.5/300 WBY, put the next two outside the lower left diamond on the left just outside the diamond. Make a correction to the scope, those two just above the top of the diamond, Then scrubbing the barrel, using our patch hawg, to catch patches, and the solvent used.

The next two shot, just to the left of the cross hairs inside the diamond. The "LITTLE SPEED DEMON" was really a delight to shoot. As most will already know, the 25 calibers, and 264/6.5 calibers have do not really kick, they have a rise to them like the fully auto M16's, much like a chain saw revving up.

We shot a total of 20 shots over a five hour time period, while working with a SAVAGE, Model 12 LRP, that was fun also, the total weight of that gun dressed out was 14.5 pounds heavy yes, and l@@ks like it gonna be a great shooter also too.

Played with a friends .308, he said he wanted to shoot a 130 gr. Barnes TTSX, and 130 TSX, had been told the rifle would not shoot that bullet, would not stabilize, would not group, the one who told him that showed up as we were dialing it in and was amazed, it was driving groups that a dime would cover.

All in All, it was a great day. Any day at the range is a great day, sometimes things just come together and sometimes they do not, which ever its still a good way to cleanse the the mind, relax the tensions each and everyone has in their daily life. Because the mind CANNOT FOCUS, on two things at the same time, can not be done...

If todays result is what to come on 6.5'300, we can't wait to see how the beast will really shoot!!!

HILLBILLY HEADBANGER, we THANK YOU, for your geat information, and very helpful information, we certainly appreciate it..

We "TIP OUR HAT: to you, and Thank you, again very much we are L@@KING forward to more good days of shooting to come...

YOTESHOOTER

You're most welcome. Glad I could help out.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom