• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

anyone reloading for the S&W 500?

TBurnham

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
41   0
Reaction score
I just picked one up with all reloading items. I have been reloading for a while (nothing this large caliber),but want to hear from anyone that has already been reloading for the 500. Any tips or reciepes?
Also I have quite a few bullets from a few years back....50 cal muzzle loader, can I use these bullets to reload the 500.They are 295 gr HP Copper Clad bullets. Thanks in advance.

No one reloads the 500?? Come on I know someone on here has to. I would not be able to afford to shoot it if I didnot reload for it. I found some great info online and I am going to load a few rounds and try them out. I shot some factory loads today and this thing is a BLAST:cool: to shoot.

I have one in the Magnum Research BFR variety.
I bought a used Lee 440gr. GC mold and cast my own boolits to save a little on bullet cost.
I use mostly Lil'Gun but did load some elephant fart loads with a heaping scoop of Unique.
These are pretty mild, relatively speaking.
The first time I reloaded the 500 I have to admit to being a little anxious the thing would hold together.
Definitely don't want to limp wrist it.
There's a lot of reading out there, just google "reloading the 500".

I use a plated bullet from berrysmfg.com for shooting paper and I load some Remington bullets from midwayusa to hunt with. I use H110 or win 296 with no problems. I load the plated bullets with a mild powder charge.

Well I guess I can. Took it to the range and shot it today with said bullets. 295gr ballistic tips with 43 grains of H110. Not too hot and not too mild but boy what a flash!!!! I have got to shoot this thing at night. Bet it will light up the sky!!

I'm a new guy and just found your thread.
I load and hunt with a 500. This is the data that has worked out great for me. It's very accurate in my gun and absolutely flattens deer and bear.
34.0 grains of Lil'gun.
Barnes 375 grain XPB bullet.
CCI LR primers.
OAL is 2.288.
Winchester brass.
I get around 1650fps at the muzzle. It's has a four inch barrel.

Hope this helps.

I'm a new guy and just found your thread.
I load and hunt with a 500. This is the data that has worked out great for me. It's very accurate in my gun and absolutely flattens deer and bear.
34.0 grains of Lil'gun.
Barnes 375 grain XPB bullet.
CCI LR primers.
OAL is 2.288.
Winchester brass.
I get around 1650fps at the muzzle. It's has a four inch barrel.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I am lookin' forward to huntin' with it this year. I have a S&W 44mag, but it will have to take a seat behind the 500. I do find it amazing that you have to use rifle primers instead of pistol primers!!!

Back
Top Bottom