• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone shooting 6.5 Grendel?

Recoil is pretty substantial for an AR, I put a heavy buffer in mine to tame it, and I'm sure a comp would help(can't with mine). I'd say, it's about the same as my AR10 with 20" barrel.

Haven't heard of anyone suppressing one, I'm sure it could be done, as with anything else.

Since I shoot LR308's, recoil is not that big of an issue. More of a concern for scope survival. Ive broken 2 Weavers on my LR308. About ready to put a Vortex Hog Hunter on it for low ligbt hunting.

A couple of more questions on these. Can you use a standard upper 223 upper receiver for a build (I have 2 really nice billet slick side uppers)? Bolt is different from what I can see, is it common with another caliber (say 7.62x39). Anything else difference from the standard 223 AR15 that needs to be ordered up front. I'm really thinking about a 16" barrel with adjustable gas block and free float hand guard. I can tune the gas like I did for my LR308 and run both with or without a suppressor. If these are threaded 5/8x24, I have a Scar17 brake that works really well but is a LOUD MOFO that I can try also.

A couple of more questions on these. Can you use a standard upper 223 upper receiver for a build (I have 2 really nice billet slick side uppers)? Bolt is different from what I can see, is it common with another caliber (say 7.62x39). Anything else difference from the standard 223 AR15 that needs to be ordered up front. I'm really thinking about a 16" barrel with adjustable gas block and free float hand guard. I can tune the gas like I did for my LR308 and run both with or without a suppressor. If these are threaded 5/8x24, I have a Scar17 brake that works really well but is a LOUD MOFO that I can try also.
Bolt,barrel, heavy buffer,and mag is the only difference.

The bolt/extractor is the same as a 7.62x39 bolt (and you can even make Grendel brass from 7.62 brass)
And yes, 5/8x24 (but I will be just using a thread protector for hunting)

This is a great time for this thread. I also was thinking about something different as I have 5.56 and 7.62x39 AR15 and a couple of 308 AR's. I just was hating to have another caliber to keep track of. What type of recoil impulse do these have compared to other AR's? Also, how do they suppress?

About half the recoil of a 308, and quieter suppressed than a 5.56 - much easier than an AR10 for quick follow up shots.
If you reload you'll use about 30% less powder than 308, also less wind drift than 308.

Love mine!

20161106_202819.jpg

Thanks for the link. However, I think I would have to get one with a 5/8x24 threading because of my cans (Harvester 7.62, and ARC30). Good looking rig you have with the colors and can! Are you running a heavy buffer (T2) or adjustable gas block on yours?

Back
Top Bottom