• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone tried .357 180 gr in the 35 Remington?

Does anybody know what the actual diameter is for standard factory made .357 magnum pistol bullet-- JACKETED?
I know in all lead bullets you can order them size .357" or .358"-- both are common. But how about with a copper jacket? If those copper-jacketed pistol bullets are truly .357 of an inch would it make any difference for accuracy that the 35 Remington, and most other 35 bore rifle calibers, except the new ones being developed today, call for .358 bullets?

From what I've read on several other websites we are handloaders who have lever action rifles in 35 Remington Caliber talk to each other they report that they can use 158 gr. jacketed pistol bullets made for 357 magnum revolvers without any problem. Many of these guys report
1 inch groups of 50 yards and 2 inch groups at 100 yards. From lever action hunting rifles!

357 is .357 however using a .357 in a 35 rem that is .358 is like using a .356 or .355 in a 357. it will work greatly depending on the gun , and are the lands in good shape and so forth, if so it will depend greatly on how accurate it is.

Think of it this way the 32 special lever gun back in the day takes .321 bullets. but remington loaded alot of them with .318 bullets, for some reason. with a new tight boar this would work fine, but with an old worn bore especially if you used black powder in it, it would start shooting all over the place with the smaller diameter bullets, which did hurt the reputation of the 32 special.

smaller bullets should work with a good bore but overtime accuracy may fade

with lead depending you can use .358 in a 357,

I have not shot anything other than targets with my 35….So, I do not know how this would do on deer. But, you might try it as an alternative to 357 bullets.

I have been getting an accurate load with a MattsBullets lead gas checked bullet. I load them to just over 1600fps. I pushed a few up closer to 1700fps and the accuracy decreased. At 1610fps the Marlin grouped at 1.5 inches at 100yards. For comparison: The same gun will group a full power (2180fps) load of Varget and an 180 Speer FMJ at less than an inch.

Does anybody know what the actual diameter is for standard factory made .357 magnum pistol bullet-- JACKETED?
I know in all lead bullets you can order them size .357" or .358"-- both are common. But how about with a copper jacket? If those copper-jacketed pistol bullets are truly .357 of an inch would it make any difference for accuracy that the 35 Remington, and most other 35 bore rifle calibers, except the new ones being developed today, call for .358 bullets?

From what I've read on several other websites we are handloaders who have lever action rifles in 35 Remington Caliber talk to each other they report that they can use 158 gr. jacketed pistol bullets made for 357 magnum revolvers without any problem. Many of these guys report
1 inch groups of 50 yards and 2 inch groups at 100 yards. From lever action hunting rifles!
I suspect using .357 in a .358 may allow more blow buy gas and you may loose some velocity, but if it shoots good, really won't hurt the gun. And as Reloadhby says, may depend on the gun.

In reverse, using .358 bullet in .357 bore works, but you likely get more friction and maybe even more chamber pressure. The Hornady .358 180 grain SSP has been used in .357 bores. It was designed for the 35 remington to be used in the Contender, but many have used it in the 357 max and 357 mag barrels with no ill effects. I do wonder if you might get more copper fouling.

I shoot the Hornady Spire point .358 180 grain in my CVA single shot 35 remington and it shoots wonderfully, sub-moa. I size my 206 grain cast gas checked boolit to .360 for the same gun and it shoots great about 1.25 moa. Shooting the larger cast boolit thru the bore will swage it down to a perfect fit sealing the bore.

Rosewood

i've been looking at the 200gr RN molds so that when I start casting/powder coating, I'll have some 35rem bullets.

I know RCBS makes on but harder to find and more $$, might just try the lee and see how it goes.
Accurate molds is my go to. They custom make your mold to your specifications.

Thanks to 7pt62THOR. He told me that Sporting Arms had a few boxes. These 100 bullets should last me many years.

BCD8C8EC-97A0-4D14-85EE-D16369C5F8F9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom