• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone using Long Shot for 9mm 124GR FMJ's? How about .40 S&W?

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
I've got a supply of Long Shot and have tried 5.6GR with 9mm 124GR FMJ. The results were lackluster and with some signs of over-pressure (primer signs) this and lots of apparent blowback on cases! Hogdon shows 5.8GR is MAX, Lee shows 5.7GR is MAX.

I like the way it fills the case, and it does have a good following in postings on the Internet.
I also read that it is highly recommended for .40 S&W ... which may end up being how I use it.
So, recommendation on .40 S&W would also be appreciated.

That said, I also request refraining on recommendations on other powders as I already know that Bullseye, Tightgroup, Universal, and Unique, etc all do quite well in 9mm. Insomuch I have a goodly supply of Long Shot, I am attempting to use it!

I have had good luck with power pistol in 9mm and 40. I use longshot and bluedot in the 10mm. Longshot works great in heavy 12 gauge loads also. :)

I know it’s supposed to be good for 10mm and 45 Super. It may be a little slow for 9mm; even guys loading 9 Major and running comps tend to stick with Autocomp, CFE, and HS-6.

Are you sure it was pressure signs? Did you work up a ladder in .2 increments? I’ve read that Longshot in particular can hit a plateau or even lose velocity once pressure limit is hit.

If I were using it in 9mm, I’d be tempted to try some 115gr bullets and do a ladder from 10% below book up to the brink of explosion.

I know it’s supposed to be good for 10mm and 45 Super. It may be a little slow for 9mm; even guys loading 9 Major and running comps tend to stick with Autocomp, CFE, and HS-6.

Are you sure it was pressure signs? Did you work up a ladder in .2 increments? I’ve read that Longshot in particular can hit a plateau or even lose velocity once pressure limit is hit.

If I were using it in 9mm, I’d be tempted to try some 115gr bullets and do a ladder from 10% below book up to the brink of explosion.

I guess I would be called an "ornery old cuss": I don't load 115GR 9mm. All of my 9's operate and perform best with 124GR or 147GR. My attempt at Loading Long Shot is "a long shot" at getting some more use of a powder that I have quite a supply on the shelf. Looking at the Hornady published data, there's little difference in velocity between the minimum and maximum loads using Long Shot. I started near MAX, and will try somewhere in the middle before simply giving up. While I am retired, I don't enjoy spending my time working up loads, rather, I enjoy shooting! I can always use the Long Shot in 40 S&W which many swear by ...

It is becoming obvious that there are a number of factors that must be considered in using this powder to drive lightweight projectiles: Crimp and C.O.L. being a couple. I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die on all of my 9mm loads as it makes for consistent and reliable function and performance of all of my 9mm pistols. The degree of crimp that pleases other powders could be a key factor in using Long Shot ...

My Universal and Tight Group loads in 9 work fine for punching holes in paper. However, I do not like the fact that Tight Group is like using Nitro Glycerin ... a little bit goes a long way towards "too much"!

nope don't use longshot on 9 MM.
actually I use HS-6 or Accurate #5 for 9 MM, 38 Super, 10 MM, and 45 acp with good results.
in 9 MM/ 38 Super I use 115 and 124 grain. in 10 MM I use 150-165 grain, in 45 I use 185-200-230 grain projectiles.

[QUOTE rosewood, post: 8094665, member: 10709"]One factor to consider. A slower burning powder is likely to give you more muzzle flash and boom than a faster one.

Rosewood[/QUOTE

You are most certainly correct!!

See the photo from a page in my old, old, old Speer Reloading Manual #8; regarding defense loads for 2" .38's.
NOTE: DO NOT USE THESE LOADS as they are really out of date, and powder formulations have changed considerably since they were published. Actually, I don't even think that they would be safe in a .357 Magnum!

Honestly, I did load one of these back then and quickly found out that in addition to a basketball-sized fireball of a muzzle flash, the rounds bruised my hand (almost caused me to soil my pants) and thoroughly convinced me that they were too much for a .38 revolver!

Out odf Date Load Data.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Ok,
Tried 5.3GR of Long Shot over a 124GR FMJ today, and was pleased with the direction of the results. The accuracy was acceptable, the recoil was acceptable (though kinda strong), and the report was not excessive. The primers show no signs of overpressure although the cases are scorched and blackened. I dunno where I will go with it from here, but it does appear that a lesser load is the right direction ...

Back
Top Bottom