• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone using Long Shot for 9mm 124GR FMJ's? How about .40 S&W?

I have been loading a lot of handgun rounds lately and playing with different powders. Have a 180 grain HAP/XTP pushing 1190 out of a 5" 40 S&W with Longshot and accurate to boot. Now that is pushing 10mm territory with no pressure signs. Also using Longshot in 357 SIG with good results getting 1430 with 125 gr HAP out of a 3.9" barrel.

Academy has had Longshot in stock every time I have looked for several years now and it is like $23.99 per lb or maybe 26.99, can't remember for sure. They have CFE Pistol which I have been playing with in 126 gr cast boolits in the .357 sig and it has worked quite well. Manual indicates top velocity with CFE Pistol with 90 grain bullets in the sig. It also shows top velocities in some 10mm loads, but I haven't tried it there yet.

Rosewood

Ok,
Tried 5.3GR of Long Shot over a 124GR FMJ today, and was pleased with the direction of the results. The accuracy was acceptable, the recoil was acceptable (though kinda strong), and the report was not excessive. The primers show no signs of overpressure although the cases are scorched and blackened. I dunno where I will go with it from here, but it does appear that a lesser load is the right direction ...

What kind of gun are you using? I have found a blow back action makes the cases a lot dirtier than a delayed blow back, gas operated or recoil operated actions.

My Hi-point carbines (blow back operated) leave the cases filthy in every caliber (40, 10mm, 45), the same loads/brass that come out reasonably clean in my handguns that are recoil operated. I believe it is because the action start opening before the pressure clears the barrel and you get blow back in the chamber by breaking the seal of the case too soon.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom