• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone using ultrasonics to clean?

palmettomoon

Army Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
NRA Life Member Wayne LaPierre & Chris Cox Hater
225   0
Reaction score
I bought a Harbor Freight (I know the rule, no moving parts, etc.) 2.5 Qt ultrasonic cleaner to clean my suppressor and I have to say....I FEEL LIKE A CHUMP FOR NOT USING ONE SOONER! For lots of things. 6 minutes and the dang thing is clean and ready to reassemble! I'm using this on hard to clean gun parts from now on.

Anyone else have experience with these?

I run one use it to clean all the little bitty stuff. I use it with mineral spirits. Works great on AR bolts just don't put nickel boron bolts in. They turn dark No plastic parts either

No plastic parts either
I put complete guns in there, plastic frames, night sights and all. Never hurt any of it. The only thing I've ever seen it hurt was it damaged the anodizing on another member's apex trigger. Not sure that wasn't a manufacturing defect though. They claim anodized, looked like paint to me.

I bought a Harbor Freight (I know the rule, no moving parts, etc.) 2.5 Qt ultrasonic cleaner to clean my suppressor and I have to say....I FEEL LIKE A CHUMP FOR NOT USING ONE SOONER! For lots of things. 6 minutes and the dang thing is clean and ready to reassemble! I'm using this on hard to clean gun parts from now on.

Anyone else have experience with these?
What solvent are you using? I ran my baffles through it a while back but didnt get that great of a result.

The Guardian seems to be mostly aluminum with the exception of the end cap threaded for the barrel. I bought Greased Lightning but that will etch al so I used an Oxyclean type carpet cleaner and a lot of water. I'll use Dawn next time. I need to wipe a couple of baffles but otherwise it came out really clean. I fired about 400 rds before cleaning.

I will say DONT NOT EVER use purple power. I have the same harbor freight cleaner and purple power is too good, I really wouldn't use it for anything ever. It creates flash rust or flash corrosion. Don't use it

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The Guardian seems to be mostly aluminum with the exception of the end cap threaded for the barrel. I bought Greased Lightning but that will etch al so I used an Oxyclean type carpet cleaner and a lot of water. I'll use Dawn next time. I need to wipe a couple of baffles but otherwise it came out really clean. I fired about 400 rds before cleaning.
Yeah, you gotta be careful using degreasers that are caustic on aluminum parts. Simple Green Extreme is an aircraft grade cleaner that is the **** and won't hurt aluminum. A little harder to get your hands on than regular simple green or purple power, but well worth it if you're going to be putting aluminum in there. Which you will at some point.

I won't use any oxygenating cleaner again. The steel part was showing the beginnings of rust so I dried and arrested that quickly.

I will say DONT NOT EVER use purple power. I have the same harbor freight cleaner and purple power is too good, I really wouldn't use it for anything ever. It creates flash rust or flash corrosion. Don't use it

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I use purple power all the time. It's not the greatest cleaner, but I've never seen the problems you're talking about. Tons of guys are using purple power in their ultrasonics. I use it in my tumbler sometimes too. Anything with water in it can cause flash rust if you don't handle it properly.

Back
Top Bottom