• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone with a lathe help me by making a small part ?

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
I need to get a dome headed rod, (head larger diam than the shaft), with a slight step down on the other end of the shaft. Around 1 1/2" long 1/4" dia, hole drilled in the stepped down end. I can provide a dimensioned drawing.

Happy to pay for time and materials, wish I'd bought that hobby lathe myself !

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ordinary mild steel rod, I'll see if ace has something close enough. Not really a stressed or precision fit part. No real rush.

It's really very simple, just the three different diameters are beyond my skills to produce by hand.

I need to get a dome headed rod, (head larger diam than the shaft), with a slight step down on the other end of the shaft. Around 1 1/2" long 1/4" dia, hole drilled in the stepped down end. I can provide a dimensioned drawing.

Happy to pay for time and materials, wish I'd bought that hobby lathe myself !

Thanks in advance for any help.

Couldn't you use an 1 1/2 inch 1/4 x 20 all threaded hex head or allen head bolt and drill a hole through the other end for the same purpose?

Couldn't you use an 1 1/2 inch 1/4 x 20 all threaded hex head or allen head bolt and drill a hole through the other end for the same purpose?

There's a few ways to make something that would work, but it's a replacement for a missing part and I'd prefer to stay true to the original.

I'll get a drawing made up in the next day or so for comment.

Thanks everyone.

Ok, I know the proportions are all wrong, but these are the dimensions. The hole in the end from right to left is to tap for a screw, not sure the best size. The small collar is a spacer, so I can have the pin in one of two positions.

Any gotchas ?

pin.JPG

I don't have an existing screw, so open to suggestions as to a common size to use. Not sure how thick / thin the remaining wall should be to determine the size ? It will have a small amount of pressure on it, think go as large as practical to help prevent stripping on tightening ?

This is based on your sketch above. I got a guy in Walnut Grove who could whip this out in no time. Just one? Do you have the mating part this goes too?
Jeff Williams at ARW Machine. I'll forward over the solid model for a quote if you want. Let me know....
Pin.jpg

Back
Top Bottom