• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone with an earlier BMW 135i / 335i

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
I've been pondering getting an earlier one in the future, but I'm concerned about the HPFP and turbo problems people have had.

Reading up on the HPFP I'm pretty sure I can DIY one, the turbos look a lot more involved. Although doable, I'm not sure I'm up to it physically now.

Anyone with feedback on any problems ?

I owned a 4 door 2008 6 speed 335i for 4 years and 40k miles with no issues.
I believe BMW issued two recalls on the 335i HPFP for model years 2007-2011 and extended the HPFP warranty to 10 years/100K miles but I am not certain if the warranty extension is only for original or CPO owners.
At that time, Vishnu offered a stand alone processor and cat back exhaust that increased horsepower and torque to a claimed 340 and 400 respectively, it was around $1300 for the package and much less expensive than Dinan. Rumor was that BMW had detuned the early 335i because they did not want it to be more powerful than the previous (2006) 3.2L M3 model.

I'll be looking at 60 - 80k miles ones. Neither problem area would be under warranty sadly. Great machine, but the HPFP is near a grand to DIY, the turbos probably 1.5k + diy, and anywhere between 2.5 - 5k at a shop, (depending on who you talk to).

I guess that's the reason they're relatively cheap to buy !

My 06 M3 is 333 hp, and I got it rather than the turbo models for the very reason you are discussing.

Turbo's on gas engines are not as reliable/long lived as they are on diesels.

I got a low mileage 2011 BMW 335 so I would not have to worry as much. I would buy a later 335 and you should not have the HPFP issues. I talked to a lot of BMW enthusiasts and they said to get 2009 or later. I found better deals of 335s vs 135s - also, a lot of the 135s seem to be convertibles and I wanted a sedan or a coupe. Ended up with a coupe because great shape/low miles

Back
Top Bottom