• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anywhere to find Pyrodex or FFFG powder locally?

Only problem with that is that lots of local zoning will (legally) prevent you from storing a large amount of black powder (or a substitute) in your home, for the same reasons retailers can't keep large amounts in inventory. Unlike smokeless powder, any of the BP substitutes is classed as an explosive.

This may seem like a non-issue, but remember that if you have an insurance claim and it's found that you are storing more than the allowed amount of one of these in your house, your insurance coverage goes out the window.

Is that worth saving a few bucks on hazmat fees?

Only problem with that is that lots of local zoning will (legally) prevent you from storing a large amount of black powder (or a substitute) in your home, for the same reasons retailers can't keep large amounts in inventory. Unlike smokeless powder, any of the BP substitutes is classed as an explosive.

This may seem like a non-issue, but remember that if you have an insurance claim and it's found that you are storing more than the allowed amount of one of these in your house, your insurance coverage goes out the window.

Is that worth saving a few bucks on hazmat fees?
Not an issue on several years supply unless you are shooting a cannon.
Most reloaders are already over thr allowed amount of smokeless powder.

Interesting, I never used to check the regs when I lived in California simply because California is asinine to begin with and you don't just hand bureaucrats the opportunity to "say no". That said, before I moved to GA probably the most I ever had stored was around 20 pounds. Got rid of most of it before I moved though as I didn't want to move it all cross country. I did have about 8 pounds of black powder too but that was miraculously "lost" by the moving company (they actually lost quite a bit of stuff).

Back
Top Bottom