• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Apocalyptic tools.

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
AC6BB3A5-636E-4497-9648-2841C43B0B0D.jpeg
Anyone else collect old school tools like those that people used before electricity?

Every time I see an old crank drill, brace and bit, bench grinder, etc I snag it.
When there’s no power or fuel I could see the use of drills and other tools being a necessity.
I also never return extra hardware so I have a healthy stash of nuts, bolts and other hardware in case I need to build stuff.
Scored this bad boy about 30 years ago and I still use it from time to time.

View attachment 2029666 Anyone else collect old school tools like those that people used before electricity?

Every time I see an old crank drill, brace and bit, bench grinder, etc I snag it.
When there’s no power or fuel I could see the use of drills and other tools being a necessity.
I also never return extra hardware so I have a healthy stash of nuts, bolts and other hardware in case I need to build stuff.
Scored this bad boy about 30 years ago and I still use it from time to time.

Me as well.

Glad to know there are more of us out there scouring the pawn and antique shops for stuff like this!

Yeah when I was in my early 20’s I scoured the local paper classifieds and bought a bunch of cool stuff like this from older WWII vets that were getting ready to go home and were selling off all their tools and stuff.

I watched the video of Dick Proenneke building his cabin in Alaska with an axe, draw knife, hand saw and hand auger and mentally added them all to my collection for such an event.

I have a bitchin hand saw with 3/8" teeth and a couple great axes. It's the fine detail stuff I need.

The only though I have outside of this is that it's somewhat easy to support power tools with other means such as a mini hydroelectric source or solar. That doesn't make these things obsolete, but might mean that you put them down while you have battery power.

20190219_142955.jpg

Picked these up not long ago and just cleaned them up. I sold my house and now looking for some cheap land to start a homestead. Plan to put these to use and try to build a cabin hopefully this year. I got hatchets, machetes, axes and log saws. Just bought a few full steel shovels as well and a commercial 3 basin kitchen sink. So far so good!

Back
Top Bottom