• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Appendix carry..

The 3:30 to 4:30 position on the strong side is the most popular carry method (IWB or OWB) for good reason. If it's not comfortable to start, mess around with the positioning. There is a "sweet spot" that can vary slightly from person to person depending on your build. As in all waistline carry, the holster and belt will also have a strong effect on comfort. I carried exclusively OWB for a very long time because I simply could not get comfortable IWB. Then I changed two things. I got a Cook's holster and started buying pants one size larger. It mad all the difference in the world and I have carried IWB ever since.

This makes a lot of sense. I like the suggestion of position because it isn't riding my hip bone. It will still be on my strong side and easy to reach. It may take a little practice to get used to drawing from there, but not too much, I'm thinking. I am not new to carrying IWB, but strangely, I have never really explored my options too much. I just know that I hate it behind my back, directly in front, or directly on my side at 3 o' clock. I will also take a look at Cook's. It is almost shameful how I have neglected investing in better carry gear...

Thanks for taking the time to make these suggestions.

This makes a lot of sense. I like the suggestion of position because it isn't riding my hip bone. It will still be on my strong side and easy to reach. It may take a little practice to get used to drawing from there, but not too much, I'm thinking. I am not new to carrying IWB, but strangely, I have never really explored my options too much. I just know that I hate it behind my back, directly in front, or directly on my side at 3 o' clock. I will also take a look at Cook's. It is almost shameful how I have neglected investing in better carry gear...

Thanks for taking the time to make these suggestions.
My pleasure. I really like the Cook's because it's minimalist, easy on, easy off and secure. Not to mention comfortable.

Reactions: MRH
I've been considering trying this, it looks comfortable to me. I carry IWB now at 3-4 o'clock. Just wondering what types of holster you are using, if you appendix carry. I have found a Dehaven brand that looks good for my G26. Just don't want to end up with a bunch of these holsters, if you know what I mean...thanks in advance. I like kydex vs leather.

Another short video on the matter

My pleasure. I really like to Cook's because it's minimalist, easy on, easy off and secure. Not to mention comfortable.

I am checking them out right now and liking what I see. Less is more to me, so the minimalist thing is right up my alley.

I appendix carry as well and have rigs from www.m3tacticalkydex.com for my edcs.
Traditional IWB is not an option for me as I have significant spinal injuries and the issues an IWB holster creates are unbearable after a short time. (Offset pressure to one side of the low back is excruciating) AIWB works for me, and is a very natural draw with some practice. I don't believe it is a good option for most guys who are more that maybe 10% over ideal weight for their height due to physical mechanics but I carry aiwb daily.

http://www.m3tacticalkydex.com/otp-elite/

I have attempted it, and while standing it is comfortable and I feel the draw is faster and natural. It is extremely uncomfortable sitting/ driving though, (probably just because I don't have a true appendix carry holster) , still debating on if I want to invest in something I may hate . . . .watched a few videos, read a few articles - not 100% sure how it's supposed to ride when I need to bend . . . Lol . . .

I have attempted it, and while standing it is comfortable and I feel the draw is faster and natural. It is extremely uncomfortable sitting/ driving though, (probably just because I don't have a true appendix carry holster) , still debating on if I want to invest in something I may hate . . . .watched a few videos, read a few articles - not 100% sure how it's supposed to ride when I need to bend . . . Lol . . .

You said it yourself. You do not have a true appendix rig. I carry at the
12 O clock centerline and with the rig i use, bending over, sitting, high intensity working out including lots of various positions doing drills with heavy bags and ground work (think mma drills) i have zero discomfort(i wear my rig for workout training as i include working pistol drills in my routine). Holsters and body shape play big part in comfort for this position of carry.

Back
Top Bottom