• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Applebees says no guns allowed

------------
Mr. Beever,
After losing a close friend to a violent murderer, I have taken to carrying a weapon for my self defense. The licensing process to purchase and carry a handgun involved a trip to the court house and police station, a waiting/processing period of 90 days, a background check, several voluntary training courses, and now, competitive IDPA shooting to further hone my skills. I consider myself a typical gun-carrier: well educated, well trained, and passionate about my right to self defense.

In Georgia, every business has the choice of posting signs that prohibit or permit the carrying of guns. These signs do not affect criminals, who are undeterred by such things. Fortunately, since these signs do not carry legal weight in Georgia, I can legally carry my weapon concealed and unless I am asked to leave (at which point it becomes an issue of trespassing, if I refuse to leave), the sign doesn't affect me. However, as a matter of principle, I will not support any business that does not honor the 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms, and I do not think that these corporate-level policies have any effect on public safety in your place of business. For as long as your policy of disarming law-abiding citizens remains in place, you have lost my patronage. I hope you will take note of the fact that the NRA has millions of members and most of them likely share my sentiments.

Sincerely,
Conlaw Bloganon

------------
Mr. Beever,
After losing a close friend to a violent murderer, I have taken to carrying a weapon for my self defense. The licensing process to purchase and carry a handgun involved a trip to the court house and police station, a waiting/processing period of 90 days, a background check, several voluntary training courses, and now, competitive IDPA shooting to further hone my skills. I consider myself a typical gun-carrier: well educated, well trained, and passionate about my right to self defense.

In Georgia, every business has the choice of posting signs that prohibit or permit the carrying of guns. These signs do not affect criminals, who are undeterred by such things. Fortunately, since these signs do not carry legal weight in Georgia, I can legally carry my weapon concealed and unless I am asked to leave (at which point it becomes an issue of trespassing, if I refuse to leave), the sign doesn't affect me. However, as a matter of principle, I will not support any business that does not honor the 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms, and I do not think that these corporate-level policies have any effect on public safety in your place of business. For as long as your policy of disarming law-abiding citizens remains in place, you have lost my patronage. I hope you will take note of the fact that the NRA has millions of members and most of them likely share my sentiments.

Sincerely,
Conlaw Bloganon

Thanks. Good for you in exercising your 2A.

I feel this is a crock of shi#, and I also am sending in a letter bc in my lil town of Dalton GA, we do not have that many places to eat and I definatly wont go there now. ( not that I spend alot of time there any way, but I will check our door here in dalton to make sure)

I posted the following on the Hi Point Firearms Forum on July 21. I had not seen this posting or even website until about a week ago. This place interests me so expect a new hanger-on for a while.

The Topic Line said:

Applebees Restaurants-- DO NOT PATRONIZE . . .

and please contact to express some level of displeasure. Note my complaint to them through their webpage.

http://www.applebees.com/GuestContact.aspx

Greetings:
I went into your Tifton, Ga restaurant to have dinner tonight. Upon entry, I saw a sign that effectively prohibited anyone from bringing a firearm into the restaurant. I have a license to carry a concealed weapon and meet all state burdens on exercising a constitutional right. I am a law abiding citizen and obeyed your sign, despite it not being valid in the State of Georgia.

Please be advised that I will NOT patronize ANY of your restaurants until such prohibition is removed. Further, I will spread the word on this and strongly encourage all friends, family, acquaintances and internet forums I frequent to not patronize your restaurants.

This will include posting on the several internet forums that I belong to and regularly surf. I will also encourage all to complete your Guest Contact form and notify you of their displeasure of such prohibitions.

Further, after seeing the sign and deciding to leave, I requested a moment to speak to the manager of the store to advise him of my objections

He came up and I informed him of the situation and his response was substantially a grunt and ok, after which he turned his back and walked away.

Sincerely,

Nxxx E. Moxxxx, J.D.

20 or so followups later I thought it good to post the following talking about my OP in the thread. By reposting my initial and follow up here I hope to encourage more emails or such sent to Applebees.

I guess I need to take a writing class. The last one I took was based on there being one rule in writing-- Be Clear. I guess I did not quite make it.

This guy Branth was able to figure it out. If I had chose to I would have ignored the invalid sign and we would have eaten there. That would not have let them know I STRONGLY disagreed with their policy and would have done nothing that could influence them to consider thinking about changing it-- as slight an effect as possible.

However, I left, notified the manager of my objections and sent the email to them through their website. That may have less effect than I mentioned above but if a bunch of us do send a complaint through their website, they just might think about considering changing it.

That was what I wanted. Take the 3 minutes to do that. It just might have an effect. If it does, GREAT-- If not, you wasted 3 minutes trying to get a bit of change in the general landscape of the corporate world. I got lots of 3 minute spans to do that, politics as well.

Even if it does NOTHING at all, it makes me feel good because I spoke my mind on a subject I believe in and support strongly. If you read this and strongly support CCW and 2A. Take that 3 minutes.

For those who already have, Thanks! Let us keep up the good work.

Nemo

Last edited:
Most of my local places that used to have "NO WEAPONS" signs, you know the typical revolver with the slash over it, have been taken down...Only a few places around where I live still have that sign...Walmart, Ingles, Kroger, Rite-aide, SOME Gas stations have all removed those signs here locally....Might be from e-mails like these, keep it up guys!

I responded to Applebee`s with an e-mail as soon as this thread came out.I didn`t put the letter on here,and I haven`t read most of the others.Probably all make the same point.Prior to Applebee`s weapons rule,we ate there most Sundays after church.No more.St.Peter carried a sword.Wonder if Applebee`s woulda let him in?Don`t hijack this into a spiritual thread.There`s a separate place for that.

If you pass on Applebees and go to another restaurant, save your receipt. When you get home, scan it into your computer and add it as an attachment to a polite email to the manager showing him that you made a choice not to spend your money in his place of business. Again, be polite and to the point.

Just sent this...

Dear Dave,

My name is John. I have read that Applebees no longer allows for law abiding citizens like myself to carry a firearm into your establishment. I'm sorry to hear of such a poor decision being made, as you well know that a criminal will break this rule, hence they are called "criminals." I understand your point of view and will respectfully obey your policy, although I can tell you that I will not be doing business with your establishment until such time as this policy changes. I will also save you some trouble and let the customers of our range that it is your policy that no firearms should cross your threshold weather legally or illicitly. I will also be happy to inform the members and staff of Georgia Carry as they are this states leader in advancing the disbursement of such information. I'm sure you'll find that the law abiding citizens of Georgia are a tight knit community of good people that will respectfully keep their "crazy ideals of security" out of your doors. Thank you for your time.

In hopes that you will pass this information onto your superiors,

John H********

Range Officer, "Range, Guns, Safes"

Atlanta GA

Georgia Carry Member

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom