• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR 10 - 16 inch barrel - seems kinda short

I am perfectly understanding of harmonics and nodes. Surprisingly enough, there are other aspects to barrel profiles and lengths other than simply harmonics. Hence the reason for different barrels profiles. His comments were not an all encompassing discussion on ballistics, just one aspect to consider. Heavier, shorter barrels combat barrel droop and whip/lash, whatever you want to call it. You still need to load your ammo, tension your action, etc, etc, etc, to make your rifle rifle more accurate and to tune the round exiting at the same point.
Very, very well said my friend.

I am perfectly understanding of harmonics and nodes. Surprisingly enough, there are other aspects to barrel profiles and lengths other than simply harmonics. Hence the reason for different barrels profiles. His comments were not an all encompassing discussion on ballistics, just one aspect to consider. Heavier, shorter barrels combat barrel droop and whip/lash, whatever you want to call it. You still need to load your ammo, tension your action, etc, etc, etc, to make your rifle rifle more accurate and to tune the round exiting at the same point.
So Mr know it all. Doesn't all that fit into what is generally referred to harmonics/weapons tuning?

Give the guy a break he was simply stating that many factors go into choosing a barrel and what goes along with building based on barrel profile, gas system length, buffer weight and so on. It's just not a pick a barrel and go one with the build as if the barrel doesn't come into play with the rest of the build. There are so many factors that come into play based on the desired performance. I have built many rifles and no two were the same.

I don't think what he said is a know it all statement. It's just knowing about barrel selection and what goes along with it. By no means is that a know it all about guns statement.

Give the guy a break he was simply stating that many factors go into choosing a barrel and what goes along with building based on barrel profile, gas system length, buffer weight and so on. It's just not a pick a barrel and go one with the build as if the barrel doesn't come into play with the rest of the build. There are so many factors that come into play based on the desired performance. I have built many rifles and no two were the same.
He said. "He was touching on a different aspect than harmonics."

So these harmonics, are different than those harmonics?

No! The video did an excellent job of explaining harmonics and this joker apparently has an understanding that exceeds mere mortals, and an ego to go with it.

Length of barrel all depends on the mission. Good barrels are good barrels and bad ones are bad ones, length = velocity more than accuracy.

Sitting on a hill shooting 1K I want a 24" barrel, climbing a tree or stalking a deer, I want 16", but both have to be good barrels cause I want to hit what I'm shooting at with every shot.
This discussion can get very deep with all of the science behind it.

Back
Top Bottom