• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR - 10 - Anyone shoot them in competition? NRA Highpower? Hunting? Plinking?

10thmountain

Default rank 5000+ posts
American Warhorse.
121   0
Reaction score
As I keep going in my Competition shooting journey - I like to look at different variants of rifles. NRA high-power DOES allow the AR-10 Platform. Heck they allow anything short of a bazooka nowadays.

Some questions.

1. Good reliable brand? S&W? M&P?
2. What ammo? For comps or hunting?
3. Easier to build than buy?
4. Anyone have a $600 PSA AR-10?
5. Magazines readily available?
6. Optics or irons?
7. When hunting do you find the rifle heavy?
8. Easy to sling up?
9. See many on the firing line?
10. Accuracy out of the box?

Rules for NRA Highpower for M-110

U.S. Rifl e, Caliber 7.62 mm M-110 series–– In all courses of fi re and in all positions the standard 20-round box magazine or a reduced capacity magazine of the same external dimensions will be attached. The fl ash suppressor may be removed or the rifl e may be manufactured without a fl ash suppressor. Barrel length may not exceed 20 inches, as measured to the end of the rifl ing in the barrel. The front sling must be attached to the end of the handguard, and must remain in the 6 o’clock position no more than 1/2 inch from its original location.

images

I wish I could help you my friend, but I have no experience with the AR10 platform...Other than there are 2 types and certain parts only interchange within the type and not from one to the other. This will only be an issue if building one. One is the Armalite AR10 style and the other is the DPMS pattern IIRC?

D Tubb shot and won with an SR-25 years ago in NRA XTC highpower.
He had issues with it's reliability and stopped using it and returned to a bolt gun.
His Tubb 2000 bolt gun has the the look of an AR with the dependable and refinements he wanted in the Ar10.
The NRA accepted the M110 series for service rifle because the AMU wanted it for 1000yrd lr Service rifle matches. The CMP didn't recognize the M110 as a service rifle initially,not sure if they do now or not?
For Lr Service rifle matches I would rather shoot it than an AR15 or M-14/m1a1. I belive most are using AR15 front sights/gas-block instead of AR10 (height difference).
Hope that helps
John

I know one of the issues was with the bolt stops breaking ,not a good thing during rapid 200&300 stages.
It did cause him to design the bolt carrier weights to slow things down and shorten the free recoil distance to the bolt stop.Still a weak link in the design.
Mr Garands rifles were the product of a tougher America,built for abuse and longevity not shooting small groups at 1000.
John

Back
Top Bottom