• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR-15 Advice - SBC or not?⚡️ B.A.D. Lever vs Troy Ambi Bolt Release

Studiogene

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
126   0
Reaction score
So, I'm primarily a shotgun/handgun guy but am finally getting around to playing with the Sig M400 that's been sitting idle in my safe for a few years. I want the be able to shoot suppressed, but didn't know if the use of an (SBC) Suppressed Bolt Carrier was necessary. From what I've read on various forums some guys love 'em, some don't feel it's worth the cost, especially if you have to add a kit to complete the BCG.

The other question I had was the use of a B.A.D. Level or Troy Ambi Bolt Release. I shoot rifles left handed, so don't see a real benefit to the B.A.D. Lever, but wanted to see how you guys felt about the Troy Ambi unit. One concern I have is needlessly marring the finish on my lower by using one of these.

And, as long as I'm asking for advice, recommendations for an ambi mag release?

Thanks,

Gene

They work great. I had the opportunity to shoot a suppressed 5.56 AR with one on both the suppressed and unsuppressed settings. On unsuppressed, you got quite a bit more gas in the face from the ejection port, and with it on the unsuppressed setting, it cut the gas down to where that was no longer a problem. It also slows down the action thus saving wear and tear on your rifle.

I have a BNIB one for sale here on ODT complete with a brand new bolt kit it you're interested.
https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...er-w-bootleg-inc-bolt-completion-kit.1359575/

Being a righty, ambi controls are pointless to me.

Definitely not worth the money for an SBC to me, when a dab of silicone, and a hole drilled in the charging handle will vent any gas trying to blow back into your face.

I was looking for an ambi this week and found this at Botach:
BattleSteel-575777

Do not have it yet but I like the price.

I have the Gemtech suppressed bolt carrier and I LOVE it.....I bet I get a 70-80% reduction in gas blowback in my face. However, with you being a lefty, all that gas is going to shoot straight into your face, unless you shoot right handed. Maybe check out a suppressed charging handle. B.A.D. levers are great too, but if you shoot left handed....again, same thing. I'm a righty, but have ambi controls on all my rifles.

Back
Top Bottom