• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ar 15 build question/opinion

BamaBrad

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
32   0
Reaction score
I am in the process of building an AR-15. My two questions/opinions are first and mainly the barrel. After some pretty heavy research I am leaning towards going with a barrel from Ballistic Advantage. Any opinions on these barrels? Is there anything I should look at that’s better in about the same price range?

Second question/opinion is the upper. I am leaning towards the BCM upper. From what I have read and researched it seems to be a pretty good upper.

Minimum 16” maximum 18”. No specific purpose for this build, it will do everything from target shooting to coyote hunting. I’m wanting to build a nice rifle without having to spend Noveske money as strange as it sounds and that’s why I have been doing some research. I have also looked at WOA barrels but I would like a barrel that comes with the gas block installed already. I have read that the Vlotr uppers are pretty good but are they that much better over the BCM.

I am going with a stripped upper. Also leaning towards a BCM bolt carrier, unless you have a better recommendation. I am all ears.

I havent seen anything bad about Ballistic Advantage barrels. I brought one on Black Friday, a 8" 300blk so I was researching them then. Havent been able to fire through the barrel yet though, its a WIP

Minimum 16” maximum 18”. No specific purpose for this build, it will do everything from target shooting to coyote hunting. I’m wanting to build a nice rifle without having to spend Noveske money as strange as it sounds and that’s why I have been doing some research. I have also looked at WOA barrels but I would like a barrel that comes with the gas block installed already. I have read that the Vlotr uppers are pretty good but are they that much better over the BCM.

I am going with a stripped upper. Also leaning towards a BCM bolt carrier, unless you have a better recommendation. I am all ears.

I gotcha. On the barrel, are you wanting one with a gas block already installed because you want one that's pinned? I'm assuming you want to go with a free float?

I think you'd do well with the BCM upper and bcg, but I'm only going off of what I've read and heard. I recently did a trade and the guy mentioned to me that he had some issues with the VLTOR upper and he wouldn't use it again. I was surprised to hear that. I don't have any experience with either of them though. The VLTOR uppers are billet though, aren't they? I haven't really looked into them. The BCM will be mil-spec forged.

I literally just received a BA 8" 300 blk barrel 5 minutes ago from UPS. It's noice! I had no idea, nor was it listed in the specs, but I looked at the barrel and it says 5R! Even the pics on their website doesn't show the 5R printed on the barrel. I'm happy with it so far.

Back
Top Bottom