• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR-15 help

CAK

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
12   0
Reaction score
What is a good quick aim sight to use on a AR? I scoped my last one for hunting and now bought another one..I want to do what Libtards say you don't use these for...home defense...So i need some experienced help before purchasing one...one that doesn't cost an arm, leg and several toes but is functional....I would like to keep flip up peep sights intact...I am just going to lock it up in a closet so it doesn't hurt anyone till I have a need for it..but I will take it out to exercise it once in awhile so boredom won't set in causing it to escape and wreck havoc on the general populace...lol

Thanks for any help...

1bush.jpg

Not high speed, but they work well and are affordable.

Don’t worry about sighting. If you shoot an AR at someone in your house it’s gonna be so loud thar head will prolly pop. And if you shoot indoors without ear protection while you are standing near a wall that gives you some bounce back then your head will prolly pop too. So just look down the rail, like a shotgun — and spend your money on ear protection.

Anyway, here’s a good deal on a red dot...

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/sightmark-ultra-shot-z-reflex-sight-38-51.1669704/

Don’t worry about sighting. If you shoot an AR at someone in your house it’s gonna be so loud thar head will prolly pop. And if you shoot indoors without ear protection while you are standing near a wall that gives you some bounce back then your head will prolly pop too. So just look down the rail, like a shotgun — and spend your money on ear protection.

Anyway, here’s a good deal on a red dot...

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/sightmark-ultra-shot-z-reflex-sight-38-51.1669704/
20% off code expired.

The Trijcon MRO is a good red dot that can be had in the $400 range. You could also pick up a good used Aimpoint M2, a battle proven red dot, for as low as $200. Both are good reliable options, and the MRO has an easy to find CR2032 battery that lasts for YEARS. Mine is on right now.

Others prefer EOTECHS, although they don't have quite the same battery life. The upper level as far as cost is probably the Aimpoint COMP M4; around $800-$900, uses a AA battery, and battery life is around $80,000 hours. Definitely tough, but you pay for it.

There are others, such as Primary Arms red dots and HoloSun that also sport very long battery lives for less money, although I'm not sure they're as durable as the MRO or Aimpoint. I'm not sure they AREN'T as durable, either. Vortex also makes the SPARC red dot, which can be had new for under $200, with a lifetime warranty.

No matter what you buy I suggest a mini "torture test": Put it through your worst case scenario to make sure you can trust it when "the chips are down". I froze my Aimpoint, submerged it in water, and baked it in a car in July. It passed with flying colors - but then again, so did my $40 Leapers brand red dot.

One of my 'go to' ARs has an Aimpoint PRO cowitnessed with a fixed DD rear sight and an FSB up front.
The other has an FSB up front and a surplus Colt carry handle in the back.
I'm not sure either one is more or less effective for home defense (in my house & with my skill level) so I haven't bothered to put an RDS on the second one.

Find a used primary arms micro dot. Poor man's appoint T1 with 50k battery life. What good is a red dot with a dead battery when you need it. Holosun is also a great affordable option with the same battery life but some of their models have auto off feature that wakes up when the optic a moved.

I like two just for a rifle that will sit and wait for home use. I like the Sightmark Ultra shot. I have had at lease one for the last 5 years and at times I have three or four. I have never had one loose zero and they are clear enough you can use your irons with it. I don't use the quick detach models they tend to have some play in some. The one I use a lot is the just the plain old Ultra shot model number ( SM13005 ). It has never let me down and when I take it to the range just to see if everything is in order it's always dead on.
Now if you want to go a little more heavy duty the Ultra Shot M-spec FMS is a more rugged unit and gets 5 stars from it's reviews. It's 275 vs. the 155 for the regular ultra shot. I plan on upgrading to the M-Spec as soon as I get through some of these projects I have going on right now. These units are low profile and don't stick up off the rifle like a birth defect. Take a look at the site and see what you like. I think the M-Spec unit is a real nice heavy duty sight that sits low to the rifle.
In five years now I have never had one let me down. I have em all Vortex, Bushnell you name it but I just keep going back to the Ultra shot just because it sits low on the rifle and doesn't make the rifle look bulky. Now that's just my opinion, observation and experience I have had with them. The Vortex was an awesome sight but it just stuck up to high on that 1 inch riser. Had to 86 that one just for that reason. The Bushnell was a good sight as well but I just prefer the look and function of the Ultra Shot.

Back
Top Bottom