• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR 15 LPK's

I've used Colt kits before, but I don't think they're worth a premium over some of the other reputable brands that I suggested. IMO, LPKs are more of a threshold product. You are getting basically the same GI trigger, same A2 grip, same detents, and same springs. Minimum cost parts that are in spec are the way to go - you get accuracy from a better barrel, better trigger, and performance from a quality BCG. If you're buying based on brand, just buy the whole darn rifle.

The LPK's are either in spec or not; just saying. CMMG has a little longer take down pins with a dimple in them; but other than that, I haven't seen any differences in any I have used. FCG's are different in that you can feel the difference in some of them. I can guess that AR15.com guys only like Colt and BCM parts and all others are crap and will fail within first box of ammo. Spend your money where you want; but LPK without FCG is not a place I would worry about.
^^^THIS^^^

I've seen LPKs sold by several different companies and I honestly couldn't tell a bit of difference from one to the next. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a factory somewhere pumping out LPKs all day long and just slapping different name brands on the packages.

Since the OP is in Henry, go to QFR and get your parts. They will tell you that a $38 CMMG parts kit (minus FCG) and an ALG trigger (QMS or ACT) is their go to set up. These guys shoot a lot and will not give you a load of BS trying to sell you something just because it costs more. Just watch you wallet because you could end up ordering a suppressor if you are not careful.
I was there Monday. They are handling the transfer of the lower for me. They also are holding two cans for me . 6 months and counting. Your advise is exactly what I intend to do. I had just never put much thought into LPK's and decided to do a little research and get some opinions. It's for a 300blk pistol so not being a long range precision rifle I'm not sure i need a great trigger. 9" Upper, lower and BCG are AAC. Just need to finish the lower and pick out a pistol buffer.

^^^THIS^^^

I've seen LPKs sold by several different companies and I honestly couldn't tell a bit of difference from one to the next. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a factory somewhere pumping out LPKs all day long and just slapping different name brands on the packages.

Colt, BCM, sionics, and others source from the same high quality manufacturers. Anderson, CMMG, RR, Dpms and others source from others, hopefully just a tier below in quality. Some kits are made with the cheapest parts available from anywhere on the planet. Just like the guy from earlier in the week that got 2 out of spec receiver extentions in a row, quality isn't always something you can see.

There is a reason to spend more that may not ever be evident to the average low volume shooter. BCM isn't gouging with their $99 lpks, they use better parts.

I use CMMG kits plenty, and they've always been fine. I don't understand that whenever someone wants high end parts, you get a line of people pimping cheap. No one ever tries to push a Rock Island 1911 when someone is wanting a STI, why do it when someone wants a quality AR?

Colt, BCM, sionics, and others source from the same high quality manufacturers. Anderson, CMMG, RR, Dpms and others source from others, hopefully just a tier below in quality. Some kits are made with the cheapest parts available from anywhere on the planet. Just like the guy from earlier in the week that got 2 out of spec receiver extentions in a row, quality isn't always something you can see.

There is a reason to spend more that may not ever be evident to the average low volume shooter. BCM isn't gouging with their $99 lpks, they use better parts.

I use CMMG kits plenty, and they've always been fine. I don't understand that whenever someone wants high end parts, you get a line of people pimping cheap. No one ever tries to push a Rock Island 1911 when someone is wanting a STI, why do it when someone wants a quality AR?
I'm not pimping anything. Just sharing my experience with LPKs.

I was there Monday. They are handling the transfer of the lower for me. They also are holding two cans for me . 6 months and counting. Your advise is exactly what I intend to do. I had just never put much thought into LPK's and decided to do a little research and get some opinions. It's for a 300blk pistol so not being a long range precision rifle I'm not sure i need a great trigger. 9" Upper, lower and BCG are AAC. Just need to finish the lower and pick out a pistol buffer.
I just started building the same thing! Post pics!

Not just you, but the OP specifically asked,

I understand what you're getting at but the OP asked for a "high quality parts kit". He didn't ask for the best or the most expensive, he just asked for a high quality kit. The fact of the matter is almost any LPK you get its going to be the same in quality. Are you really going to be able to tell a BCM vs a Daniel Defense or a CMMG? I've searched the forums and when asked what LPK people are using you get such a variety of answers and they all work. Does that mean that the non-Colt/BCM LPKs are not high quality? Nope.

So I dont think its a matter of pimping cheap parts its a matter of advising someone to spend their money a little more wisely.
You can illustrate it this way. Someone says I want a Cadillac CTS-V because it has a Corvette engine and I want to go fast. Instead of telling him to get the CTS-V we tell him to get the Z06 with the same engine and its $10k cheaper.

I understand what you're getting at but the OP asked for a "high quality parts kit". He didn't ask for the best or the most expensive, he just asked for a high quality kit. The fact of the matter is almost any LPK you get its going to be the same in quality. Are you really going to be able to tell a BCM vs a Daniel Defense or a CMMG? I've searched the forums and when asked what LPK people are using you get such a variety of answers and they all work. Does that mean that the non-Colt/BCM LPKs are not high quality? Nope.

So I dont think its a matter of pimping cheap parts its a matter of advising someone to spend their money a little more wisely.
You can illustrate it this way. Someone says I want a Cadillac CTS-V because it has a Corvette engine and I want to go fast. Instead of telling him to get the CTS-V we tell him to get the Z06 with the same engine and its $10k cheaper.

But they aren't the same. The better analogy is to recommend a less powerful engine because it'll still go 120 and you don't need to go any faster.

I think CMMG is good enough, but it's a lesser product than a BCM kit.

But they aren't the same. The better analogy is to recommend a less powerful engine because it'll still go 120 and you don't need to go any faster.

I think CMMG is good enough, but it's a lesser product than a BCM kit.

Good enough for what? Good enough for a battle rifle? If thats the case then no doubt you would agree that only "high quality" parts should go into a battle rifle and thats all the OP asked for "a high quality" kit.

But why do you say such that CMMG isn't as good as a BCM kit?

Also no one knows who makes BCM's kits. Their rep said as much:
"It is our company policy that we do not disclose direct information as to suppliers, process, or certain specifications. We work with a small number of government contract machine shops to produce products built to our specifications and/or prints. Much of the final machining, process, and QC is done here at BCM’s new 30K Sqr/foot facility. The final product yielded is a BCM/Bravo Company MFG, Inc. product." - BCM Rep

Btw I hear great things about Daniel Defense's LPK and its only $99 including milspec trigger.

davans davans How much of a complete LPK do you actually plan to use? Do you want to use an aftermarket trigger, trigger guard, grip or safety selector?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom