• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR 6.5 Creedmoor or 308 with FFP scope - $1000

IMG_1021.JPG
IMG_1013.JPG
IMG_1023.JPG

Feed ramps look ok, upper is Aero, lower is ACME, and gotta appreciate the 3-baffle brake! I loves me some brakes but I'm guessing this one is 7.62 but whatever.

Anyone notice the barrel?

0.92" at the muzzle. She's thick like you like 'em! She got some junk in da...nose? Not sure what terminology I should use. One seriously heavy barrel. Kit is 14.5 pounds w/o ammo. Bench gun for sure.

Now some comments on the package. All this, with scope, was $1,100 with free shipping.

Like, wow!

Scope is made in China. Has good reviews. Every time I type "China" I hear our President say the word. Not sure why. But the reviews are not bad for such inexpensive glass. Not an expert on scopes so please keep that in mind. It illuminates. Tried to take some pics while the sun was setting. 24x is nice and it is a FFP scope.

IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1039.JPG

Tried to take pics through the scope but it's difficult to do. And the sun was setting so there's that too. I'm diggin' on the reticle. And the image seems pretty nice for an economy job.

Here are some pics once I got her put together...

For those asking, "Hayata, what the heck is the hub-bub about 6.5 Creedmoore?"

So 6.5CM is on the far left. Then .223. Then 7.62x54R. Then 30:06, hallowed be it's name...

My understanding is 6.5CM is a necked-down .308?

You can change the barrel in this package and shoot .308 if you want. Uses same bolt, mags, and only the barrel is different from what I understand.

IMG_1024.JPG
IMG_1025.JPG
IMG_1027.JPG
IMG_1029.JPG

The good, the bad, and the ugly review.

The good.

Wow, what an amazing value! The barrel/receiver/lower appear to be very nice quality. Very/very/very little slop between upper and lower. Like almost non-existent. We're splitting hairs here.

And speaking of value, look at all the extras! I added a Warne 20moa base instead of the base that was supplied. But the supplied base won't go to waste.

Heavy barrel. I have pretty good expectations with the sub-moa guarantee. She is a beast! Slim hand guard mlock is nice!

And the bolt/bolt carrier with the NiB coating are the boss. And they are so much heavier than the generic AR bolt/bolt carrier...

The bad.

The trigger on this thing is the weak link in my estimation. But please consider I am a trigger snob. Like 25th floor Manhattan NYC trigger snob. My Swiss rifle triggers are the bomb. But that's another story for another day.

The stock trigger isn't bad, per se, but for a rifle of this capability, is out of its league. Don't get me wrong, it's not as bad as a mil-spec AR trigger. The break is not bad, I'm guessing maybe 4 or 5 pounds? Sorry, don't have a scale. But the pull is L-O-N-G! And kinda creepy.

Very, very, very similar to a PSA Enhanced polished trigger. Still long pull but much, much, much lighter pull weight. For this price point I think perfectly acceptable.

I'm going to install a Black Rain Ordnance trigger from my raffle AR I won a few years ago. Love that trigger and if she fits, will make this rifle almost perfect.

The ugly.

Corners have been cut but "OH-MY!" really? Look at the price point. Budget brake. Who cares, barrel is threaded! I'm planning to change the pistol grip to a PSG from the stock A2 grip. Stock AR charging handle. So what? Looks like a Chinese bipod. We'll see about that one.

Bottom line - wow, what a value. You get a lot for your money out of the box with all the extras! Two thumbs up for the gang at ACME!

I will post a separate thread with a link once I get 'er to the range. Tone/opinion can totally change based on accuracy tests but will hold off final judgement until then. But right now I think this thing has a chance at being the deal of the day pending range performance.

Range update.

When I went to replace the trigger I found the hammer spring had been installed backwards. Doh!

Yes, it's been few and far between taking this one to the range. Used "cheap" ammo to attempt to break in the barrel and I'm guessing around 50 or so rounds through her.

In May went to CMP. Here's the group I got with Federal ammo. Not sure the size of the X-ring so I don't know how to interpret the results.

Oh, and price point on these rifle combos has gone up.

006.JPG

Picked up some 140grn ELD-M from Hornady to see what good ammo will do.

Back
Top Bottom