AR Barrel

joshe74

Default rank <50 posts Supporter
Outdoorsman
3   0
Reaction score
What is the best twist rate for an AR barrel? !:7 or 1:9

Chrome lined or not?

Looking for a plinker/home defense rifle and thinking of a Del-Ton custom upper, any thoughts on this company and product?

Do you know of any alternative manufactueres that build custom upper assemblies that offer good quality at a reasonable price?

Thanks for your opinions and help.

faster twist allows you to fire heavier bullets but can destabilize smaller rounds. It is also correlated to length. How long is your barrel, is it a bull barrel? Normally shorter barrels come with faster twists in the AR platform. If you are gonna shoot some milsurp rounds then the 1:9 is going to be fine for what you are after. If you are going for shorter barrels and accuracy with heavy rounds then go with the 1:7 twist barrel.

Delton is a great company to do business with. Great customer service and prices. Be prepared to wait though as they are severely back logged. Also always a good idea to call and verify if parts are in stock as there web site isn't always up to date.

A standard 1/9 is all most will ever need. Unless you'll be shooting ultra long and heavy 80+ grain bullets, you don't need any faster rate of twist. Chrome lining will usually extend life because it's harder. It also requires that a barrel be lined. That means the barrel needs to be somewhat oversized to begin with to allow the extra lining to be applied. I own both, but if you looking for the upmost in accuracy, you'll likely want a high quality chrome moly or stainless barrel. Chrome lined barrels are great for battle rifles that may not be maintained very well over extended periods, or exposed to corrosive ammo and wet rust inducing climates, but for most of us that baby our AR's, it's not a big deal.

bought a Wilson combat 16in heavy 1-9 twist barrel for my last build, NOT chrome lined, but i'm not shooting full auto, nor am I shooting cheap ammo.......I can shoot 1-1/2 groups at 200yds with it, NEEDLESS to say, I WAS VERY HAPPY WITH IT FOR 140 BUCKS!!!

Back
Top Bottom