• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR build for Hiking / Camping

I built exactly this. It's a Glock 17 with flux brace, flashmag, and red dot. It's light, travels well, and holds like 46 rounds as I have it set up. I can make really fast hits quickly inside 15 yards and have stretched it out to 100 with the dot without difficulty. After doing a 3k mile road trip lugging a 300 BO AR in and out of the car I won't do that again.

9mm is good enough for anything this side of the Mississippi.

lots of info and pics here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/My-quest-for-a-Pocket-PDW/2-499737/

I built exactly this. It's a Glock 17 with flux brace, flashmag, and red dot. It's light, travels well, and holds like 46 rounds as I have it set up. I can make really fast hits quickly inside 15 yards and have stretched it out to 100 with the dot without difficulty. After doing a 3k mile road trip lugging a 300 BO AR in and out of the car I won't do that again.

9mm is good enough for anything this side of the Mississippi.

lots of info and pics here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/My-quest-for-a-Pocket-PDW/2-499737/

I don't "get" things like this. Why not just use the Glock 17? You do gain an extra point of contact, but same sight radius, same barrel length, same velocity and muzzle energy. Heavier, harder to conceal, slower to deploy. I know that you said you're faster on a plate rack, so that's something, and I will admit it does look pretty darned cool.

For me, I would do as someone previously suggested and use a Sub 2000. Very light, will fold up and fit in a pack, adds sight radius and muzzle velocity and energy. But as a pure blowback operation, they are not easy for weaker individuals to chamber easily, and they recoil more than you would think (or at least more than I think) they should.

I don't "get" things like this. Why not just use the Glock 17? You do gain an extra point of contact, but same sight radius, same barrel length, same velocity and muzzle energy. Heavier, harder to conceal, slower to deploy. I know that you said you're faster on a plate rack, so that's something, and I will admit it does look pretty darned cool.

I don't carry a glock otherwise. I typically wear either a Les Baer TRS or more recently my Sig 365xl with red dot.

while I agree with you on the caliber being the same or "worse" than what I carry, you can think of it as the modern equivalent of an MP5. It's something that I don't conceal carry often, but it can live easily enough in a glove box, small part of a travel bag, etc. Here's where it beats my carry guns:
1) shoot faster. I'm good with a pistol. formerly sponsored competitive shooter. I'm better with something on my shoulder.
2) more steady at distance. I can rip off sub second hits at 100 yards. I can't do that free hand pistol shooting
3) more ammo. Sig is 13 rounds on a good day (short frame). Glock has 24 on deck and another 17 reload right there
4) light built in
5) red dot is closer to rifle position than when you hold it out as a pistol. faster for me and everyone who's tried it
6) pistol so I can follow pistol law. sometimes a benefit but sometimes not, depending where you live and travel

Attachments

• IMG_8578.jpg
    IMG_8578.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8581.jpg
    IMG_8581.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 14
I would go with the SU 16 it is incredibly light weight reliable and will do everything in AR well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't carry a glock otherwise. I typically wear either a Les Baer TRS or more recently my Sig 365xl with red dot.

while I agree with you on the caliber being the same or "worse" than what I carry, you can think of it as the modern equivalent of an MP5. It's something that I don't conceal carry often, but it can live easily enough in a glove box, small part of a travel bag, etc. Here's where it beats my carry guns:
1) shoot faster. I'm good with a pistol. formerly sponsored competitive shooter. I'm better with something on my shoulder.
2) more steady at distance. I can rip off sub second hits at 100 yards. I can't do that free hand pistol shooting
3) more ammo. Sig is 13 rounds on a good day (short frame). Glock has 24 on deck and another 17 reload right there
4) light built in
5) red dot is closer to rifle position than when you hold it out as a pistol. faster for me and everyone who's tried it
6) pistol so I can follow pistol law. sometimes a benefit but sometimes not, depending where you live and travel

Fluxed glock/sig is a good PDW option. Or
CAR15f.jpg

You can be super cool dad with CAR15.

9mm AR no benefit with weight or build cost. Cartridge is also less capable than 5.56

Back
Top Bottom