• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR build question

LTP

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
Banned Permanently
2   0
Reaction score
I'm considering building an AR since I've found, what I think, are the best parts. So, it would literally be a parts gun but of the best stuff you can get. Are there any pros and cons to such an approach?

If you try to sell it, it will never be worth the sum of its parts. Most people don’t want a parts gun so just plan to keep it.

Other than that, building one is fun and you can make exactly what you want. I’d try to use a matching upper and lower, and quality barrel and bolt/carrier. Everything else is just a matter of preference.

There is a company called WMD that makes a bolt carrier group that I'm impressed with (if YouTube is a good judge.) Another company called Sionics makes an unbelievable barrel.

I know the weapon would have no value to those who buy stuff based on name recognition, but this would be mine. I want something I could depend on with my life.

Not to discourage you, but:

When you price it out, it gets more expensive than a high end production gun (Wilson, LesBear, Daniel Defense), and all of the production gun parts were designed, and manufactured to work together. The custom DIYer often buys parts that do not work well together. I went down this road with 1911’s years ago. My 1911 projects always came together, but I often created a lot of extra expense and work for myself.

So, enjoy the project, if you take it on. Just pick your parts carefully.

Just finished assembling my first AR pistol...already itchin' to do another one!

Like everyone said, you won't be able to recoup your expenditures until the next panic.

I'm not buying to sell. I want something that has features that are specific to my application. Having checked the AR factory stuff, they all come up a bit short for my needs.

Not to discourage you, but:

When you price it out, it gets more expensive than a high end production gun (Wilson, LesBear, Daniel Defense), and all of the production gun parts were designed, and manufactured to work together. The custom DIYer often buys parts that do not work well together. I went down this road with 1911’s years ago. My 1911 projects always came together, but I often created a lot of extra expense and work for myself.

So, enjoy the project, if you take it on. Just pick your parts carefully.

That's not very encouraging. The expense won't be the big issue. If I calculated it out correctly, you can buy top of the line parts and be in the ballground of a DD, Wilson, etc, without having to spend the money all at once. I'm going for reliability and durability with some specific features that the factory guys simply don't build. If you got something you would stake your life on in the end and got all the features you want, other than cost, what's the problem? You're saying AR top of the line components don't work together when they are built to the same specs?

Back
Top Bottom