• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR build question

That's not very encouraging. The expense won't be the big issue. If I calculated it out correctly, you can buy top of the line parts and be in the ballground of a DD, Wilson, etc, without having to spend the money all at once. I'm going for reliability and durability with some specific features that the factory guys simply don't build. If you got something you would stake your life on in the end and got all the features you want, other than cost, what's the problem? You're saying AR top of the line components don't work together when they are built to the same specs?
Yes, exactly. Top end guys build their stuff to work with their stuff. You can put it together and 90 percent of the time it'll work, but if it does not, it can be very frustrating trying to work out the bugs. Stake my life on a rifle I built, nope. I'd go with a bcm or DD or lwrc that build hundreds of thousands of guns with their parts that are tested and retested, field tested, and work every time. If you want a fighting gun, exotic parts are a no-no in my book. Keep it simple with what works, assembled by a company that stands behind it.

Yes, exactly. Top end guys build their stuff to work with their stuff. You can put it together and 90 percent of the time it'll work, but if it does not, it can be very frustrating trying to work out the bugs. Stake my life on a rifle I built, nope. I'd go with a bcm or DD or lwrc that build hundreds of thousands of guns with their parts that are tested and retested, field tested, and work every time. If you want a fighting gun, exotic parts are a no-no in my book. Keep it simple with what works, assembled by a company that stands behind it.

I would be going with top of the line companies. I'd definitely need help with headspacing. Even sending out the upper to have someone assemble it or show me how (preferably) might be an option.

Assembling the lower isn't too difficult, only requires a few tools and worst case you loose a few pins/springs that are cheap to replace. Assembling the upper is a bit more complicated and requires a bench with vise and torque wrench.

I'd start with my first build with parts that I know work together (ex. a build kit from Aero Precision/Ballistic Advantage), that way if it does not work, you know it isn't the parts. However, high quality parts in the same pattern should work together (this is more of an issue with the AR10, where there are multiple platforms).

I've assembled plenty of AR lowers, last year I built a WWSD rifle (What Would Stoner Do? InRange TV, lightweight & minimalist AR) with success and then recently an Aero Precision AR10 kit in 308.

It's worth doing, but realize that if you screw it up bad enough it could cost you a bunch of money (new parts) and maybe some body parts (Kaboom).

Reactions: LTP
I would be going with top of the line companies. I'd definitely need help with headspacing. Even sending out the upper to have someone assemble it or show me how (preferably) might be an option.
Several good videos online (not so much on Youtube anymore because of their rules, but Brownells.com has good tutorials).

Reactions: LTP
There is a company called WMD that makes a bolt carrier group that I'm impressed with (if YouTube is a good judge.) Another company called Sionics makes an unbelievable barrel.

I know the weapon would have no value to those who buy stuff based on name recognition, but this would be mine. I want something I could depend on with my life.
My WMD bcg is underwhelming. All the finish wears off and it turns black. Seems like a fine BCG but i'd just stick with phosphate finish or maybe a decent nitride one. My AAC nickel boron finish has held up a lot better than the WMD.

Back
Top Bottom