• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR build question

I'm considering building an AR since I've found, what I think, are the best parts. So, it would literally be a parts gun but of the best stuff you can get. Are there any pros and cons to such an approach?
Thats what I did. Thousands of rounds through this rifle with no issues. I know this gun better than any other. Is it as good as DD, LMT, SOLGW? Who knows, but it is exactly what I wanted and works perfect.
6BB63E80-649B-452D-883D-F998602305EA.jpeg

Reactions: LTP
Not to discourage you, but:

When you price it out, it gets more expensive than a high end production gun (Wilson, LesBear, Daniel Defense), and all of the production gun parts were designed, and manufactured to work together. The custom DIYer often buys parts that do not work well together. I went down this road with 1911’s years ago. My 1911 projects always came together, but I often created a lot of extra expense and work for myself.

So, enjoy the project, if you take it on. Just pick your parts carefully.

Assemblying an AR is vastly simplier than a custom 1911 build. It's comical how easy it is. Even if he didn't have the know how to assembly he could pay $30 dollars to have the upper assembled and still come out way ahead of a production gun for the cost. Full firearms have an 11% tax on them too but the parts do not. Significant savings can be had there alone.

I'm considering building an AR since I've found, what I think, are the best parts. So, it would literally be a parts gun but of the best stuff you can get. Are there any pros and cons to such an approach?

Post your parts list/build so others can give you feedback. The things that really matter are the barrel,bcg, trigger, optic. most of the other stuff is fluff. Happy to give suggestions. There are many pros to building and few cons. Most of the cons relate to the warranty being on individual parts vs. the whole rifle. Also you can assemble it incorrectly but there are many youtube videos that can walk you through the process.

Assemblying an AR is vastly simplier than a custom 1911 build. It's comical how easy it is. Even if he didn't have the know how to assembly he could pay $30 dollars to have the upper assembled and still come out way ahead of a production gun for the cost. Full firearms have an 11% tax on them too but the parts do not. Significant savings can be had there alone.

Post your parts list/build so others can give you feedback. The things that really matter are the barrel,bcg, trigger, optic. most of the other stuff is fluff. Happy to give suggestions. There are many pros to building and few cons. Most of the cons relate to the warranty being on individual parts vs. the whole rifle. Also you can assemble it incorrectly but there are many youtube videos that can walk you through the process.

Thanks for the input. My dream build would be:

* A matching upper and lower (Spikes, Aero, Anderson, DPMS, etc.) mil spec parts

* 1 x 8 medium contour barrel CHF with chrome lining, mid length gas system

* WMD bolt carrier group and fire control group

* Melonite gas tube

* Magpul furniture

* Adequate rail system with flip up sights (BCM, Troy, DD, etc.)

* Either an E O Tech optic or Meprolight

The goal is a rifle that would shoot groups in the area of about 2" at 100 yard category, resist the elements and abuse if you are stuck outside for days or possibly a couple of weeks at a time. It would also be able to hold up to sustained fire if I dump two or three mags as fast as I could pull the trigger.

Thanks for the input. My dream build would be:

* A matching upper and lower (Spikes, Aero, Anderson, DPMS, etc.) mil spec parts

* 1 x 8 medium contour barrel CHF with chrome lining, mid length gas system

* WMD bolt carrier group and fire control group

* Melonite gas tube

* Magpul furniture

* Adequate rail system with flip up sights (BCM, Troy, DD, etc.)

* Either an E O Tech optic or Meprolight

The goal is a rifle that would shoot groups in the area of about 2" at 100 yard category, resist the elements and abuse if you are stuck outside for days or possibly a couple of weeks at a time. It would also be able to hold up to sustained fire if I dump two or three mags as fast as I could pull the trigger.

Looks all good for what your goals are. I would suggest a Toolcraft BCG over the WMD. There are only a few bcg oems and toolcraft carries a lifetime warranty.

That's pretty much how they are ALL done. Not even Ruger, Smith, DPMS, etc. etc. make ALL their own components.

Yep. The gatekeeping in the firearms community is hilarious. "If you don't have X rifle or part your gun will spontaneously combust in gunfight and GET YOU KILLED!1!1!!!!!" Even though it would be a safe bet to say that most owners only shoot a couple hundred rounds out of their AR a year while worrying about EOTW reliability lmao.

That sounds like a good base. Id suggest a different optic because the eotechs have a pretty poor battery life compared to other modern brands, and the meprolight can be hard to see the dot in certain lighting situations

That sounds like a good base. Id suggest a different optic because the eotechs have a pretty poor battery life compared to other modern brands, and the meprolight can be hard to see the dot in certain lighting situations

HS503GU is a good price/quality intersection. Aimpoint works if you can swing that in the budget too.

Yep. The gatekeeping in the firearms community is hilarious. "If you don't have X rifle or part your gun will spontaneously combust in gunfight and get you killed!!!!!!!" Even though it would be a safe bet to say that most owners only shoot a couple hundred rounds out of their AR a year while worrying about EOTW reliability lmao.
Hey, I shot 30 rounds through one of mine just yesterday. So... that makes, um... let's see...um... 30 rounds total for the year through that raffle... so far.

HS503GU is a good price/quality intersection. Aimpoint works if you can swing that in the budget too.
Holosuns are pretty nice for the money. My personal favorite is finding a deal on a used aimpoint comp m4. They can be found $400-500 depending on condition and are incredible optics.
The MRO and PRO are also great optics thag ive used and cheaper options.

Back
Top Bottom