• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR builders question

Porter Rockwell

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
93   0
Reaction score
I am thinking about an 11.5” barrel with a Noveske KX5 Flash hider . This originally started as a pistol build that was going to have a brace installed... but with the Noveske KX5 on the end and the 11.5 inch barrel.... overal length of the barell is going to be 14.75 inches right? And that’s only 1.25 inches less than a standard legal rifle length so I thinking what’s the point??

So my question is it worth making it a pistol or sbr’ing it for a barrel length of 14.75 inches ( 11.5” barrel and 3.25 Noveske KX5 ) or should I scrap this idea and just go ahead and build a standard 16” rifle with a stock and no SBR paperwork or fees?

I am thinking about an 11.5” barrel with a Noveske KX5 Flash hider . This originally started as a pistol build that was going to have a brace installed... but with the Noveske KX5 on the end and the 11.5 inch barrel.... overal length of the barell is going to be 14.75 inches right? And that’s only 1.25 inches less than a standard legal rifle length so I thinking what’s the point??

So my question is it worth making it a pistol or sbr’ing it for a barrel length of 14.75 inches ( 11.5” barrel and 3.25 Noveske KX5 ) or should I scrap this idea and just go ahead and build a standard 16” rifle with a stock and no SBR paperwork or fees?
If you're going to make an SBR I'd make it a good one, like a full auto with 10" or so. But an AR pistol is so much less hassle...

#sbrallthethings I would say a 14.75 isn't worth it. A 14.5 with a pinned device to be legal is good but a 14.5 SBR wouldn't be worth jt. A 11.5 SBR is good even with a can but to be that long and that loud? I think you should save your money. How much to pin the Noveske device?

#sbrallthethings I would say a 14.75 isn't worth it. A 14.5 with a pinned device to be legal is good but a 14.5 SBR wouldn't be worth jt. A 11.5 SBR is good even with a can but to be that long and that loud? I think you should save your money. How much to pin the Noveske device?

So can I get a 12.75 inch barrel and have the Noveske device permanently pined for an overall length of 16” and be good to go legally as a rifle?

So can I get a 12.75 inch barrel and have the Noveske device permanently pined for an overall length of 16” and be good to go legally as a rifle?
If it’s pinned and welded, it becomes part of the barrel, so it’s included in overall length of the barrel. If it reaches 16”, good to go as a rifle.

Yup. 2 questions though:
1) Why you want the KX5? The KX5 is really for short SBRs to help direct noise down range. Are you looking to get legal length or looking for more CQB? Whats your goal?

2) How much are you paying to get the device pinned and welded?

You'll have to figure in about 1/2" (iirc) overlap on the threads where the can is threaded on the barrel. You can't just add the length of the barrel and the length of the flash can to come up with the overall length...

Back
Top Bottom