• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR Comp powder. Help please

JeepAdventure247

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
236   0
Reaction score
So I've just gotten into reloading and I want to load up a couple different rounds to see what my Mk12 clone likes. It's a 5.56 with a 1/7 twist 18" barrel.
I'm getting started with 75 grain ppu hpbt tips that I got from a member here. I am trimming and loading to .223 spec

My first batch I'm making up is with Varget. Started with 22.5 and worked up to 24 in .5 increments. Made 20 of each and want to see how they do

I saw a powder called AR Comp which obviously caught my eye so I bought a bottle.
Problem is I can't find any decent load data on it. Alliant has some recipes on there site but nothing really specific to my tip. This tip is nearly identical to the Hornady 75 bthp

Any info, experience, or resources you guys have on this powder would be great

I use cfe 223 also not a bad powder, as far as a 75 grn ppu vs hornady same bullet different manufacture. If both are hpbt, 75 grn I see no difference. Don't understand about the tip difference? Start low and work up, just my thoughts and no way a recommendation.

I've been seating them to about 2.55
Lee says max length for .223caliber is 2.60 with minimum OAL for 75gr bthp to be 2.5.
I figured seating around 2.55 is a safe in between. Not all of the hollow point tops are formed perfectly the same so I do have a spread ranging in between the min and Max but averaging 80% between 2.57 and 2.52

I looked on the Alliant web sight.

I load the Hornady 75 grain BTHP with a COAL of 2.26 for my AR mags. Did you intend to state 2.55 or 2.255?

Back
Top Bottom