• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR in 7.62x39 - any feedback?

You forgot "over gassed", lol

But I actually like the AK, alot. When made right, like in a communist country, they are utterly reliable and easily a 4 MOA rifle in the hands of a good shooter. But they have some issues. One that most don't think about is because the design is so simple and rock solid a very poorly built AK will run pretty reliable for a few thousand rounds in very harsh conditions before it craps the bed and dies a very early dramatic death. That's why I stick to the clunky, over gassed, overbuilt, hammer forged built by a Russian/Bulgarian/Romanian beet farmer kind of communist AK. The us variants are ripe with billet trunions and bolts, mim extractors, blah blah blah. They may get there one day, but not today.

I shot some Russian AK’s in Somalia that looked like like hunks o’ junk. Most of them ran, though.

I’ve had the itch for a Mini 30 or an AR in 7.62x39. Does anyone have any input on the AR? Any leads on a decent one? This would just be something to play with, with a hog hunt thrown in occasionally (hopefully)
IF get a Mini 30 in 7.62X39 make sure u replace the hammer spring that way u want have trouble shooting miiltary ammo reason the firing pin in minni 30s to week to bust primers on those type shells work ok on america factory but rather safe than sorry squeeze the trigger and hear click isn,t any fun could be dangerous in some stiutaions its a cheap. I have 3 mini 30s all hammer springs been replaced digest any make ammo run thru them now. THIS PROBELM CAME FROM THE FACTORY

Hardened Arms makes an awesome upper. Mine has never malfunctioned, and I have tried! I love mine, just hate paying $22 per mag. That’s my only complaint.

Does your HA upper have 2 feed ramps, like a standard M4, or a single big feed ramp? I’ve seen some guys that shoot 7.62x39mm AR’s grind off the “divider” that separates their feed ramps, turning it into a single, large feed ramps.

I’ve always admired those rifles. What are your Luke’s and dislikes?

-reliable with cheap, steel-cased ammo
-ease of mounting optics and accessories
-charging handle is swappable to either side
-uses cheap AK ammo and mags
-easily takes my Silencerco Omega suppressor and runs perfectly reliable with it, with no adjustments or mods

Dislikes:
-with the can in it, blows gas back in my face, more so than any other weapon I’ve used suppressed. There is a gas piston mod that alleviates the problem, haven’t done it yet.
-magwell was a little tight with some magazines. Not that they wouldn’t work, just tighter than I’d like. I filed the sides down just slightly so they fit the way I preferred.

I always ran an AK very well, but I was never comfortable with them. Loved the reliability, and they’re as accurate as they need to be......we just didn’t mesh. To me, the SIG 556xi is what the modern evolution of the AK should have been. That’s my personal opinion, AK-philes!

Bolts break....alot, no matter the manufacturer, usually the locking lugs adjacent to the extractor.. Take a look at this pic and you can see why.

www.gunsandammo.com_files_2011_07_bolt_faces.jpg

Just go 300 blackout and be done with it, or by a few spare bolts and be done with it.

I have no first hand experience with this issue, but I agree with going 300 BO in an AR instead of 7.62x39, especially if it is going to be suppressed...The cheap ammo of 7.62 is part of the allure, though, I would imagine.

I just can’t do the AK/SKS thing. I hate the clunky, overbuilt feel of Russian firearms

The assortment of accessories has come a long ways with the AK over the past few years...Of course that takes away from the "nyet! Rifle is fine!" crowd, but some of the new accessories are pretty decent, and can improve ergonomics...Also, a commie made AK pistol w/brace or an SBR is also an option.

The only problem I have with Ruger rifles, such as the Mini 14 or 30 is the cost of mags. Ruger guns like Ruger mags in my experience, and very little else, and the individual mags are friggin expensive. If you do get a mini 30 try to procure some extra Ruger mags in your deal, or you can tack on some substantial extra costs for mags, no mistake about it... I do like the look and feel of the mini 14 and 30. They remind me of the M1 carbine for some reason.

I've been seriously debating going ahead and buying a 300 blackout pistol that PSA has had on sale for a few days now. I just hate that ammo is still around 50 cents per rd for the 300 BO. I keep coming back to wanting a 7.62 x39 AR.I'll just be doing some hunting with mine, no mall ninja missions, so I'm not too terribly worried about the 5K round bolt breakage.

CMShoot, I had started a similar thread like this around a year ago and someone chimed in with the same thing you said about the feed ramps. They said to grind that divider down and make it one smooth feed ramp and you wouldn't have the feed issues that some guns do.

Back
Top Bottom