• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR Lower

Fusion16

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
I am 18 and I need a stripped AR lower to make my first gun. Unfortunately, I cannot buy one online or in stores because I am required to be 21. Is there a way around this through private transactions? Any advice?

Thanks

I haven't heard of this before but I'm assuming it's probably because a stripped lower receiver could conceivably be built into a pistol. I don't see any reason why you couldn't get one through private transaction if you knew someone that had one for sale though

Right, so is an ar lower considered a handgun? Because I intend to use it for a rifle.

I think that if you get a complete lower sold as a rifle, you might be ok?

Its the same reason why I can drive up to PSA and buy a rifle out of state, but if I want a stripped lower they can't sell it to me on the spot, they have to ship it to my local FFL... Because it COULD be made into a pistol, and you have to buy handguns in the state that you reside in.

So just buy a PSA or whatever complete lower, and use that to build into a complete rifle.

Perfectly legal to buy one in a private sale. You cannot buy one from a dealer because dealers have to treat it as a pistol and only sell to buyers who are 21 and older because it could be made into a pistol. 18 and older can buy a pistol legally from a private seller. If you were under 18 then you could not do that either.

I think that if you get a complete lower sold as a rifle, you might be ok?

Its the same reason why I can drive up to PSA and buy a rifle out of state, but if I want a stripped lower they can't sell it to me on the spot, they have to ship it to my local FFL... Because it COULD be made into a pistol, and you have to buy handguns in the state that you reside in.

So just buy a PSA or whatever complete lower, and use that to build into a complete rifle.
Complete (built) lower is treated the same as a stripped lower. Must be 21 to purchase from a licensed dealer. Either are legal in a private transaction as long as buyer is 18 or older.

Perfectly legal to buy one in a private sale. You cannot buy one from a dealer because dealers have to treat it as a pistol and only sell to buyers who are 21 and older because it could be made into a pistol. 18 and older can buy a pistol legally from a private seller. If you were under 18 then you could not do that either.
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom