• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR optics

haymons22

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
108   0
Reaction score
I currently have a Primary Arms micro dot with a lower 1/3 cowitness mount on my AR. I went with it to see if I liked the red dot before I committed to buying something like an Aimpoint. I'm not sure that I do like it though.

My question is, with one of the 1-4x24 scopes made for AR's, how much slower would it be to transition between targets? Do any of y'all prefer the scope over a red dot? If so, why? For me, it would be going on a standard 16" AR.

You just sorta have to get used to it. Especially if your used to high power scopes. It really just boils down to what your going to use rifle for. Or anot her option is a red dot, with magnifier in front, you can flip up for when you need to get down range. I really prefer vortex. Sort of a middle of the road price point, without sacrifice of quality.

I prefer red dots, but I use magnified optics on my hunting ARs, either 1-4x or 2-7x.

If you want to try a cheap 1-4x, Primary Arms has a bunch on clearance right as low as $100.

I like the 1-4x scope option as it gives me more range and flexibility with my old eyes. I am much more comfortable using the rifle at 100-200 yards with the scope over irons or a red dot. But that's just me.

TRIJICON ACOG !!! , Got 3 of them, (different models) I like them. (could you guess) For close to medium range (50-100 yrds.)
My eyes are getting old too (but not me) and the ACOG are great, as red dots they take NO batteries! ready to go any time.
But for hunting I do like more power, not really for distaince, more for being able to split hairs on where my shot placement is going.
Just my 2 cents.

I guess I need to get some more time in using the red dot. I haven't really used it much yet. I'm used to using normal rifle scopes on hunting rifles.

Back
Top Bottom