• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR pistol barrel lengths?

Porter Rockwell

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
93   0
Reaction score
What do you guys recommend for 5.56 barrel length in an AR pistol? I see different lengths all over the place. What do use? what do you recommend? I want it to be combat accurate out to a 100 yards with a red dot.

Less than 10.5" would be a mistake.

Not only would it be obscenely loud, it also loses a tremendous amount of the velocity and muzzle energy inch by inch...
Truth here. 10.5 is about as short as is reasonable. If you want to go shorter 300aac preforms better, but at 10.5" 5.56 has better energy, at least from my research.

Also, as Dirty J said, the sound is unbearable on a 7.5. Even on a 10.5 I prefer a linear comp. I have a brake suppressor mount on one of my 10.5s and you can't shoot it without the suppressor. It's actually painful.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Truth here. 10.5 is about as short as is reasonable. If you want to go shorter 300aac preforms better, but at 10.5" 5.56 has better energy, at least from my research.

Also, as Dirty J said, the sound is unbearable on a 7.5. Even on a 10.5 I prefer a linear comp. I have a brake suppressor mount on one of my 10.5s and you can't shoot it without the suppressor. It's actually painful.

Thanks - does a muzzle break like the Noveske KX3 flaming pig reduce the concussion and the sound a shooter will be subjected to? does this type of flash suppressor reduce the concussion from an AR pistol?

Thanks - does a muzzle break like the Noveske KX3 flaming pig reduce the concussion and the sound a shooter will be subjected to? does this type of flash suppressor reduce the concussion from an AR pistol?
Definitely. If pushes more of it downrange away from the shooter. It also creates some additional pressure that can aid in reliable cycling in a shorter barrel. I've also found that a short barrel benefits a lot from a good extractor spring and oring on the spring. I've built a few that wouldn't hang onto the brass until I beefed up the extractor.

Come to think of it though, I think the extractor was a bigger issue on the 7.5 with the 4" gas tube.

But that's another plus for a longer barrel. The shorter gas system has less dwell time, slams the bolt back more violently, and is generally harder to get to run reliability.

There's no connection between barrel length and accuracy if you're using a red-dot and ammo that the twist can stabilize.

That said, I concur with the 10.5" and up crowd. Shorter and you go from basketball sized flash to beach-ball and larger.

And I think there are more reliability issues the shorter you go. And you definitely lose substantial muzzle velocity.

The 10.5" pistol that I'm familiar with has a red-dot, and is limited merely by what I can do with an Eotech. That means 300 yards on silhouettes, under optimum lighting. 50 in poor lighting. You aren't losing any hit potential with the shorter barrel, but you are losing some effective range (range where the ammo performs as it should).

Back
Top Bottom