• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR Pistol built on virgin lower illegal?

Vexmaster

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
30   0
Reaction score
So I buy a blemished lower with a pistol lpk from PSA and put it together. Then buy a 7.5 pistol upper and put it together with the pistol lower, take it to the range and start getting feed failures on the second round.
I decide to take it apart to see if the hole on the barrel might be mismatched and see that it is. I make the adjustments, put everything back together and go to see my local Smith for good measure.

He then looks at it and says that one of his other guys will look at it, then this younger guy comes out from the back of the shop and says "I wont touch that" and when i ask why he tells me "thats an illegal firearm." "It doesn't have the word "pistol" on the reciever." My mouth drops, I take the upper off the lower and say "Can you take it now?"

Now im really worried. This smith is telling me that all of my months of research I have done online was for nothin'. Is this true?:confused:

You were told wrong by the smith. A virgin lower is neither a pistol or a rifle. If you build it as a pistol from jump, then it is perfectly legal.

The smith is wrong and ignorant of the laws. I wouldn't use someone one that doesn't understand the laws better than that yet spits misinformation, but thats your business.

Yeah, that smith is wrong. Only time a virgin lower is a rifle is when PSA transfers it to Californians as a rifle because ar pistols are illegal there lol. You'll notice that on their website it says "this can only be transferred as a rifle in California"

Back
Top Bottom