• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ar pistol stove piping... Heavy buffer time?

alnen

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
I'm running an 8.5" 300 bo pistol mostly suppressed, but sometimes not. The problem is, I've been having the occasional stove pipe. One about every 200 rounds, and this happens when suppressed.

I've got a colt gold extractor spring assembly coming to hopefully help, and I'm thinking about ordering a heavy buffer. I do have the kak buffer tube/brace currently. Would this cause issues when running gun without suppressor? Would it be the answer to my problem?

A heavy buffer may stop your AR from stove piping for now, but it won't fix the problem. Stove piping is an extraction or ejection problem. A weak extraction spring is the most likely culprit, so installing the Colt spring you ordered is the best thing to do. It's also possible the extractor is damaged or worn. It wouldn't hurt to replace the ejector spring, while you're at it.

If your AR is over gassed, installing a heavier buffer will slow things down a bit and help your extractor and extractor spring last a little longer, especially while shooting suppressed

Back
Top Bottom