• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR style 9mm pistols - what to buy? Keltec Sub2000?

What? First of all 50 is the new 40, so we're aren't talking nursing home here. 2nd, a good brace is barely different than your average stock once the LOP is adjusted correctly. IMO the best thing for her would be something short, light, handles recoil well and SUPPRESSED.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

We can certainly agree about suppressed, but I think that's losing touch with reality a bit. Might well be in the lady's future, right now the need / want for self protection in the home today might be the priority.

We can certainly agree about suppressed, but I think that's losing touch with reality a bit. Might well be in the lady's future, right now the need / want for self protection in the home today might be the priority.
He did say "plink" with but if immediate protection is the issue on a novice female we should be talking about Ruger LCRs with lasers.

What? First of all 50 is the new 40, so we're aren't talking nursing home here. 2nd, a good brace is barely different than your average stock once the LOP is adjusted correctly. IMO the best thing for her would be something short, light, handles recoil well and SUPPRESSED.

You aren't supposed to say that about the brace out loud! I agree on all that though, especially suppressed.

Does anyone have an opinion on .40 vs 9mm for the Keltec sub 2000 for a tiny new shooter?

I figure the 9mm is gonna have about 400 ft lbs muzzle energy; and .40 will have about 800... about twice as much...

Will .40 in the Keltec be too much kick for a 120 pound small boned 50 year old?

No reason to go to 40. I've never met anyone who is even slightly recoil sensitive that enjoys shooting it. These charts are Ballistics by the Inch and they tell the tale when it comes to ft/lbs. Good 9mm is better than the bulk of most 40 when it comes to defensive loads, and for plinking (as mentioned above) 9mm is going to be cheaper and funner.

upload_2017-12-15_11-17-49.png

It looks like good 9mm as good as bulk .40. It probably costs about the same, maybe more unless you are reloading? Bulk to bulk, it looks like .40 has more energy.
I would agree that it’s not worth going to .40 because the the two are close enough in performance and you get more capacity with 9mm.

I bought my first S2K in .40 during the 94 AWB. Ten round mags were boring and hi caps were very pricey. I had one 15 rounder that I paid $85 for. Then in 2004 after the AWB expired, I traded my G22 .40 in for a G17 9mm and my S2K as well. The reason? 33 round mags available from Glock for $19.99!

As far as I'm concerned, the S2K was made for 33 round 9mm mags...so much more fun to shoot. I've never had a hiccup out of either the .40 or the 9mm...and I never even clean them because they are such a pain in the butt to take a part.

And now I'm going to really tick you off...I paid $150 for that S2K.40 and sold it for $175 and then I bought the G17 version in 9mm for $179 BNIB. I love my S2K but regardless of what they cost today, it's a $200 gun to me and I treat it as such.

The only problem I ever had was the front sight post snapping off. I called Keltec and they sent me a handful of new ones for free.

Okay after a brief explanation the new shooter decided upon the lighter recoil right away. Right after I mentioned bruising. so it’s 9mm fer Shore not 40.

Back
Top Bottom