• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR upper help needed

Discollector

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
Banned Permanently
13   0
Reaction score
I need someone around Gwinnett or thereabouts that has the tools and know how it takes to show me how to build an AR upper. You have to have the jigs and a drill press as this requires someone to know how to put a front sight base onto a new barrel.

Thought this was going to be easy until I found out you have to drill dimple holes in a new barrel in order to put your front sight base pins in.

Another upper I have might need to have dimpling done in order to put a gas block on. Lately nobody wants to tackle this. People who tell you they know how to build uppers have never installed a front sight base. Anybody?

Why put a fixed A2 front sight on? I'd go free float rail and not look back.

A dimples for a gas block is Waaaaaay easier than doing an A2. You can even do with a hand drill... since you're literally just putting a dimple and not drilled laterally across the barrel.

It's not something you just "do". There is a method to install without a jig, but you still need a drill press and a good amount of experience to get it correct.

As info, just the jig from BRD is $175, and you still need a larger drill press/mill table, good clamps and the correct drill bit and 2/0 reamer. Average joe will not have that nor would most people invest in that expensive of a tool to install a site setup falling more and more out of "style". Also, that jig is not a set and go fixture either, you still need to be aware of proper alignment.

Hell, I have a good bit of AR tools, but even I don't have that jig.

Your best bet would be to contact Bryan at Dobbs Defense and see if he has time to do it (he did my last FSB) or another shop.

Assembling the upper is no big deal once that is done.

Your other option is to buy a barrel with the FSB already installed if you want to keep the A2 style FSB. Sionics Weapon Systems has quite a few offerings ready to go. Many times, it's the most cost effective solution.

A dimpling jig isn't that expensive. No hobbyist is going to have the stuff to properly pin a fsb, you gotta pay for that.

Yep, my dimple jigs were only $25/ea and have used them to do a lot of barrels. Just cannot justify the A2 jig and a quality drill press/mill combo.

A lot cheaper to buy a barrel with an fsb if that's what you want.

Actually I looked for a quality M4 1 x 8 barrel (16"), but Faxon was the only company that had a decent one. It is an M4 configuration and my rails are only 8" so how could I ever put flip up sights on that?

Actually I looked for a quality M4 1 x 8 barrel (16"), but Faxon was the only company that had a decent one. It is an M4 configuration and my rails are only 8" so how could I ever put flip up sights on that?

you can still use a railed gas block, this would probably be the easiest solution if your wanting to build your upper. dimpling the bottom of the barrel for the set screw can be done with a basic hand drill. that also being said if your using a free floated upper with 8 inch rails then if you mounted a front sight at the end of the rail it really shouldnt be much shorter than a carbine length a2 sight.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...5-m16-picatinny-rail-gas-block-prod29340.aspx

Back
Top Bottom