• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR Upper Modification

LTP

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
Banned Permanently
2   0
Reaction score
I have a funky AR upper with a front sight base and a rail. In order to access the gas block and tube I have to remove the front sight base. Looking for someone in the Gwinnett or Barrow area that could cut the sight base down so I can put a rail on with a flip up sight attached.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I have a funky AR upper with a front sight base and a rail. In order to access the gas block and tube I have to remove the front sight base. Looking for someone in the Gwinnett or Barrow area that could cut the sight base down so I can put a rail on with a flip up sight attached.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Got pics of what you want trimmed off ?

Are you sure the new gas block holes will line up with where the FSB was?
Pretty much any gas block you get for aftermarket mods will attach with set screw or clamp on. Taper pin attachment is usually only done on a virgin barrel, and the block and barrel are drilled and reamed at the same time.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Got pics of what you want trimmed off ?

Unfortunately not at the moment since I put the rifle in storage, but it is just cutting the front sight base off enough so that the FSB then becomes just a gas block and the rails can slide off and on without removing the front sight.

Are you sure the new gas block holes will line up with where the FSB was?

Wouldn't worry about new gas block using existing pin holes. Get a setscrew style gas block (2 to 5 setscrew designs are available), use the same gas tube, and you would be good. Would need to drive out taper pins in existing FSB plus drive out the gas tube roll pin.

Wouldn't worry about new gas block using existing pin holes. Get a setscrew style gas block (2 to 5 setscrew designs are available), use the same gas tube, and you would be good. Would need to drive out taper pins in existing FSB plus drive out the gas tube roll pin.

That's a thought if the rail ends up covering the holes. I'd still be interested in using those holes to secure the gas block with. I guess that whole idea of having worthless holes in my barrel bothers me. That's just the OCD. What you say, however, might be the solution if I don't find someone who has cut down an FSB before.

It will work fine. I took the FSB off my 308 and put an adjustable gas block back on. Just take your handguard off first and make sure to drive the pin from the small side. Gas block pin is very small, so be nice to it when tapping it out.

Back
Top Bottom