Ar won't run steel cased ammo

Had this problem with a "pistol" setup.
Honed out the chamber.
No more issues with any ammo:

LINK

How to from Flex Hone

1679233365816.png

Remember to rinse, floss and Flitz the chamber afterwards. :hat:

I have the same issue with a Wilson Combat AR; 16" middy. Runs brass like a scalded dog, becomes a single shot with steel case Wolf. Swapped the BCG to no avail. Tried lighter buffer, no workee. Whatever, I run brass 95% of the time. But it would be comforting to know that any of my AR's can run steel case, if need be.

For the record, my Aero, Geissele, Daniel Defense, BCM, Windham and all my other Franken rifles all run steel case flawlessly.

Sure but I want a weapon that can reliably run all ammo.

That ain't exactly a reasonable expectation.

When I build an AR, I am building it to spec to run with spec 5.56 ammo, like M193 and M855. If ammo is to spec, it is held within specific tolerances. For instance, M193 is spec'ed to run 3250fps out of a 20" barrel. Tula tends to run around 2900 - 2950fps, which is more inline with .223 ammo, not 5.56.

An AR has an operational envelope, which is the range from "high" to "low" ammo that it will run reliably. Make no mistake about it, Tula ammo is nasty, subpar, crap ammo made with loose tolerances........that's why it's cheap.

These loose tolerances can also result in shoulders that aren't the correct angle, improper or no taper to the casing, out of spec diameter, rims that are too thick or too thin, primer pockets that are too deep, etc.

Never judge the reliability of your weapon on whether or not it will run the cheapest POS ammo that is currently on the market.

So, in the operational envelope, Tula ammo is going to be on one end of the envelope. You could spec out a build that puts weak, crappy Tula ammo in the middle of the operational envelope, by monkeying with the gas port, buffer, and/or buffer spring. Now she runs like a raped ape with ammo you bought that helps support the Russian economy. Congrats, Comrade!

Then you run good ammo out of it. American-made, brass-cased, clean ammo that is made to a specific spec, and runs hotter than the Tula does. Now that ammo is on one end of the operational envelope and not in the middle.

I've got no problems with folks training with crap ammo. It's cheaper, and if it means that you're able to train more, then that's good stuff. It does cause accelerated wear and tear on key components, but back when we were supporting the Russian economy and getting it cheap, the savings in ammo was much more than the increased maintenance and replacement of parts costed. Nowadays, not so much.

Keep in mind, that if you train with crap ammo, you have to be willing to accept some crap results.

Never use Russian steel-cased ammo for your "carry" ammo.

Could you guys pause the zombie apocalypse while I nip out for some Remington, only round that cycles
:)
Wait….
You don’t have a few thousand rounds of proven reliable ammo stocked for each of your apocalypse weapons?
I wouldn’t be counting on field pick-ups to feed any of my guns.
Plus, I don’t plan on going out hunting, anyway.

I take my ARs to a nice club for dinner, drinking and dancing.
I take my AKs to a roadhouse for drinking, dancing and fighting.

Brass for my ARs. Pretty much anything for my AK types.

AK's were designed to operate with steel-cased ammo. They were designed around it.

Also, the 7.62x39mm case has a much steeper angle to the casing than the 5.56 NATO, which greatly aids feeding and extraction when using cases that aren't as slick, or have looser specs.

AR's were designed to operate with brass-cased ammo. They were designed around it.

AK's were designed to operate with steel-cased ammo. They were designed around it.

Also, the 7.62x39mm case has a much steeper angle to the casing than the 5.56 NATO, which greatly aids feeding and extraction when using cases that aren't as slick, or have looser specs.

AR's were designed to operate with brass-cased ammo. They were designed around it.
Completely understand. My comment wasn't meant as a slight towards the AR platform. It was actually indicative of what you say. All my platforms are fed brass. I have too much respect for them to do otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom