• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ar won't run steel cased ammo

An interesting, in-depth testing and analysis, if you prefer facts over elitism:

LINK <---

That's one of the tests that I was referring to in my rhetoric, and it backs up exactly what I've said.

• Federal: 10,000 rounds, 0 malfunctions.
  • Brown Bear: 10,000 rounds, 9 malfunctions (5 stuck cases, 1 magazine-related failure to feed, 3 failures to fully cycle)
  • Wolf: 10,000 rounds, 15 malfunctions (stuck cases)
  • Tula: DNF (6,000 rounds in alternate carbine, 3 malfunctions)

"The carbine firing Tula had a case stuck in the chamber after 189 rounds. This proved exceptionally difficult to clear, even with the use of a steel cleaning rod after the rifle had cooled. Over the next three hundred rounds, we encountered 24 malfunctions total. These problems consisted of stuck cases and failures to fully cycle, or “short stroking.” At this time, we pulled the Tula carbine from the testing. The delays caused considerable problems and put the entire project’s completion in peril.

We decided to fire the remainder of the Tula ammunition through other carbines. We cycled approximately 300 rounds through an HK416 (no malfunctions), 1,000 through a Spike’s Tactical carbine (3 malfunctions), and 6,000 through a Spike’s Tactical midlength without any cleaning (3 malfunctions). Stuck cases or failures to eject accounted for all those malfunctions."

Anything but a true 556 chamber for steel cased would be ill advised, IMHO, as the expansion of steel is more pronounced and the coatings, which are to prevent rust, only, exacerbate the problem.
A well-polished chamber, with proper lube, if you must shoot cheaper to enjoy your hobby. I do.

Anything but a true 556 chamber for steel cased would be ill advised, IMHO, as the expansion of steel is more pronounced and the coatings, which are to prevent rust, only, exacerbate the problem.
A well-polished chamber, with proper lube, if you must shoot cheaper to enjoy your hobby. I do.

Those are excellent tips.

I'm not out here lobbying for steel cased ammo. I know it isn't ideal. This is just the first ar I've owned that has had issues with it.
I would never run steel for carry ammo in my ar. I only do that in my glock!

Back
Top Bottom