• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR10 Scope?

For a hunting scope you want good glass mainly. Sfp and ffp don’t really matter for deer hunting in GA. I’ve never had to “range” a deer with a rifle. Zeiss Leupold or Nikon with a simple duplex reticle.
No need for fancy long range scopes. IMHO

Leopold makes a great scope but for a AR platform I like exposed tactical turrets. I like to adjust on the fly. In a pinch or I short on time the reticle ballistics are preset for 168 grain 308 loads. It has all the features I like in a scope, preset BDC drop reticle for the 308, parallax adj. and exposed turrets. I like a one piece mount just because the fewer the parts in the mount the more stable it is. IMHO Nikon also has an app you can down load and lets you know what the hash marks on the reticle are with different weight loads. The sell that scope with or without the mount. The P-Series scopes come with two piece mounts whick work well but for precision shooting I like a one piece mount. I am geared more toward total accuracy so my needs may be different from yours. I am sure both scopes would serve you well but one has exposed turrets and a BDC reticle and they other doesn't but both are great glass. The Nikon I believe to be just as good of a scope and it's less expensive and have the features I like. However I can not bash Leopold they don't make a bad piece of glass. The Leopold might be just the scope you want or need. Ask yourself do you want a tactical scope on your tactical rifle or want to go naked. Now on that question I am not just referring to the Nikon just scopes in general.

I was just really impressed with that particular Nikon scope. That is why I recommend it so confidently. That's all' it made just a really good scope for what I had. It was on a 24 inch bull barrel 308 and it delivered time after time. It held it's zero as long as I used the same ammo. There are so many great scopes out there it really is hard to choose.

Another great scope I have had great results with but has less magnification was the Vortex Viper PST with the tactical reticle. It was a true 1x that I used as a red dot and went up to 4x. It was an illuminated scope but it didn't really work well in the bright sun but still had the usual black reticle. It was a real nice scope. I also had shims for the elevation to put in the top turret so you didn't over shoot on your return to zero. Really nice scope.

For a hunting scope you want good glass mainly. Sfp and ffp don’t really matter for deer hunting in GA. I’ve never had to “range” a deer with a rifle. Zeiss Leupold or Nikon with a simple duplex reticle.
No need for fancy long range scopes. IMHO
It really just depends on if he wants to get a hunting scope and use it for long/mid range target shooting from 300-500 or if he wants to get a long range scope and use it for hunting. BDC Reticles can be very effective for mid range type shooting but I am biased towards using the turrets bc that is my hobby so I am partial towards that. Or he can get a scope made to be a hybrid like the Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44 would be perfect for him, it's in the name Hunting, Shooting, Tactical. It is a little more than $500 but I am sure if he was patient he could find a used one on here or the snipers hide.

That's a good price but it doesn't have the parallax adj. I am sure it would make a good scope for someone but I like all the goodies on a 308 scope. The M-Series scopes are just so much more that the P-Series scopes. Not to bash the P-Series scope because I do occasionally put those on my plain Jane AR's. The one's that are not built for precision shooting. Don't get me wrong they are not bad scopes but with his budget I am sure he want's a little more scope. That would make a good hunting scope if you don't plan on doing any long range target play. Yeah it would be a great budget hunting scope.

I run a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 on mine.

Easy to get good hits on human sized targets out to 500-600 no problem.

70ADFCAD-E056-43D7-8250-19F0AF06F68D.jpeg

I'm running a Vortex HogHunter 3x12x56 (30mm tube) on one of mine and love it. The other LR308 has a Burris 3x9x40 FFII mounted on it. Good glass on both; but really like the low light and fire dot on the HogHunter a lot better for hunting.

Back
Top Bottom