• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR15 Hog Optic?

guitarded_1

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
18   0
Reaction score
I am considering putting an optic on my AR15 to hunt hogs. I anticipate shots ranging from up close and personal to 100 yards. My eyes aren't so great, so I feel like my current red dot wouldn't cut it. Ideally, I'm looking for something like a 1-4x, lightweight, low profile scope with a non busy optic - something akin to a duplex. Having a small red dot (like the Leupold firedot) would certainly be a bonus. Budget is up to $500 new or used, though I would love to stay well below that. Does anything in particular come to mind? Thanks.

I like my Leopold hog scope, but it has a small circle in the center of the reticle. Nothing large but not your standard duplex, more of a German post style. But it's lite, durable, & made in the USA. I have it mounted on my Howa 7.62x39 for a handy woods gun.

Primary arms gen3 3x prism scope, they are about 300.00 and are specific for 5.56 bullet drop, it also comes with mount, I have one and it’s great 3x gets you to 300 yards and anything around 100 is a easy shot.

the Leupold mark 3HD, VXR patrol, VX Freedom series scopes ( it’s the same scope rebranded over time but t MARK 3 HD has a diff style illumination knob) all come in a firedot duplex reticle. They are great scopes and range from 3-500. They pop up here all the time as well.

Primary arms makes a 1-4 as well that’s like 120 bucks

My first was a Leupold with the pig plex.
It met my needs at the time.

I moved on to a Trijicon 1x4 for the clarity and illuminated reticle for dusk/dawn and night time predator hunting.

Now I prefer a 1x6 or 1x8 illuminated with a bold fast reticle with bdc drop.

* Note that the bdc doesn't have to be for your caliber.
Shoot the gun and learn your drops for your hunting ammo.*

Leupold
Trijicon
Vortex
Swampfox
Sig

All the above have a scope that could possibly work for you.

I am slowly changing out my scopes for 1x8's because I have really come to like them the best for hunting zero to three hundred yards.

Make sure they have a cat tail or throw lever even if you have to buy one separately.
This makes it easier to adjust while the rifle is shouldered.

If possible go to a store or gun show and look through the optics.
The rear diopter turns and is set by looking at a light colored background to get the reticle crisp and clear.
*This at the very back and not to be confused with the power ring. It is set once for you then left alone.*

I'm going to recommend my deer hunting set up. Running a Vortex Viper 2.5x10x44 and works like a champ. Good glass and easy to turn down if needed. Most of my hunting shots are under 50 yds and I leave it on about 4.5x since we hunt QMD and in the woods. If you are going to hunt late/low light, Vortex hog hunter 3x12x56 works well in low light and has a fire dot for around $300 new.

Us optics ts 8 sfp. You will thank me later if you ever get one. It’s a 1-8x24 with a plane duplex with a center illuminated dot that you can see great during the day and is roughly $400. By far one of the best affordable 1-8 scopes on the market!

Thanks guys. I ended up getting a really good deal on a barely used Leupold VX-R 1.25-4. It’s one with capped turrets and a version of the FireDot reticle that should be good for swamp hogs. Appreciate the input.

Back
Top Bottom