• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR15 triggers

Thanks for not checking any of my links. Just goes to show you have been proven wrong. The FN barrels are marked as such. The ones marked PSA are not FN but that's cool. Please, keep proving me wrong with your hand waves and anecdotal evidence.

Gotta love Thanksgiving.

No, I checked your link, and read the post by “Josiah”.

I never said the ones marked “PSA” are not PSA barrels. I stated that because a name is on a barrel doesn’t mean that’s who made it. FN makes barrels for numerous folks, and will mark the barrels as whatever those folks pay to have them say.

I’m no longer even stating that PSA does not make AR barrels. I had a conversation with an informed individual a year ago who told me information to the contrary, which is what I went on. It’s definitely possible that I’m wrong, or that the information I was given is no longer correct. I’ve been wrong before, and will again.

Reading statements on other sites that say that PSA makes their own CHF barrel, but does not specifically state “AR barrels” leaves some room for doubt. They could be making AR barrels, or AK barrels, or both. Dude had a platform to make a definitive statement, and he did not. Doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s being deceptive; it could just mean that he’s not a good communicator.

I’ve seen this from PSA before, and it’s made me jaded, as well as skeptical.

Waiting for that inevitable ban because I'm having a factual argument with a mod who has been proven wrong at this point in regards to barrels.

Too bad opinions of non-mods gotta get **** on. Oh well!

We don’t do that ‘round here.

I’m willing to admit that I may have been wrong about PSA manufacturing CHF AR barrels, although I’m still not 100% on that. I’ve been wrong before, and I’m always willing to learn.

Back to the topic at hand, which was triggers.

You seem to know what you’re talking about, and I’m always willing to have an intelligent discourse on gun topics.

A few posts back, asked you what, in your opinion, makes the MBT so superior to the ACT? I listed why I know that the ACT is a solidly designed and manufactured trigger. Are you able to do something similar for the MBT?

I’m interested to hear your thoughts on why the ACT is so bad, as well.

We don’t do that ‘round here.

I’m willing to admit that I may have been wrong about PSA manufacturing CHF AR barrels, although I’m still not 100% on that. I’ve been wrong before, and I’m always willing to learn.

Back to the topic at hand, which was triggers.

You seem to know what you’re talking about, and I’m always willing to have an intelligent discourse on gun topics.

A few posts back, asked you what, in your opinion, makes the MBT so superior to the ACT? I listed why I know that the ACT is a solidly designed and manufactured trigger. Are you able to do something similar for the MBT?

I’m interested to hear your thoughts on why the ACT is so bad, as well.
Apologies on my end if it was inferred that the ACT was "bad". It is by no means bad and resides in at least 2 of my rifles.

Regarding the MBT itself I will list out why I believe it is a better trigger to the best of my ability. Please pardon formatting because, while I will attempt to avoid a wall of text, I can't be arsed to perfectly format this after performing a good dozen annual reviews for employees of mine yesterday evening into this morning.

First, I will start out with what the MBT is actually manufactured out of. While you highlighted the merits of the manufacturing process and material for the ACT is cast 8620 from schmidt tool (?), the MBT is machined from S7 tool steel plates. Now we could get into a more nuanced conversation about the practical applications of each of these materials but my real world experience with both has lended to the S7 being a better fit for this particular application, in theory, than the 8620. Not that there is anything wrong with the 8620 but that I believe S7 to be better. Will it ever matter on a practical level? I ****ing hope not because if so I done goofed really bad.

Second, while some triggers need to go through a break in period (entirely subjective but to give each trigger a fair shake I do) utilizing a borrowed Lyman trigger scale I was getting pull ranges from 4 pounds 4.9 ounces to 4 pounds 5.4 ounces, and when "broken in" was breaking every time within 1/10th of an ounce with the very very odd that might fall outside t 1/12th This, to me, is indicative to quality through consistency. If you prefer a heavier or lighter pull weight that is preference but the variance being so low is fantastic and only mimicked by Geisseles at least twice the price or higher, regular MSRP not the good Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales you are seeing now.

Those are the primary objective reasons why I believe the MBT to be superior to the ALG trigger. We could talk about other subjective things, such as the wider trigger face on the MBT, or what I believe to be a more instant trigger reset though less "positive" as your G or other trigger manufacturers.

I will happily admit when I am wrong, it's happened once by my count and many by my wife's, but will doggedly fight to my death when right (PSA barrels ;)).

Apologies if any of my comments came off as personal attacks, they weren't meant to, as I do NOT doubt your character or quality of contributions. ACT > MBT or ACT = MBT though....would happily discuss over a ice cold busch latte or a glass of Lagavulin 16 (what I'm sipping on now). How do I go from Busch Latte to Lagavulin? I grew up sneaking one out of Dad's fridge and the other bought with my own money. I'll let you guess which.

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving!

T titan2k10 that’s a helluva write up, and exactly what I was looking for. I enjoyed reading it.

One could argue that, while S7 tool steel is superior to cast 8620, it is overkill and unnecessary. Similar to LMT’s use of AerMet 100 in their Enhanced Bolt vs Carpenter 158. AerMet 100 is an incredibly tough and resilient steel. It has a tensile strength of 1930 MPa, while C158 is 1103 MPa (incidentally, 9310 is 910 MPa). The failure rate of the C158 bolt is so low that I question that “upgrade” of A100 steel……although I do run an E-Bolt in my primary gun.

LaRue has the advantage in their choice of S7 in that it gave them advantages without running up production costs. They were able to use an arguably superior material, while keeping costs down and not affecting availability. LMT’s choice of A100 is the largest single reason for the high price and scarcity of the E-Bolt.

The internet is oftentimes a very poor means of communication, and I’m short-tempered and proud on even my few good days.

I’m not much of a drinker nowadays. When I do, I tend to be a beer snob, and am prone to cider. Brown liquor as a tendency to make me…….feisty.

24D484CD-2F70-434B-9ABA-4DC5E2FE79C9.jpeg

Good thing you can type and not having the conversation in person because you most certainly have someones you know what waaaaaaaaay too far down your throat.

You know nothing about me, my experiences, my service, or what role I play in society today. Please continue to pontificate though.
That's a big statement coming from somebody who hides behind a screen name! So I will chalk that up to ignorance.

I've had two MBT triggers and it wasn't the reset or pull weight which I disliked. It was wider trigger shoe with what I perceived to be sharper edges. Of course, I could have knocked down those edges but it still was too wide for me. Zero issues shooting it but I just prefer the SSA over it and always buy them on sale. Like right now if they are still in stock for $144 at both Geissele and Primary Arms for black friday.

Edited - to add that Brownells has the $144 price as well

Back
Top Bottom