• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are CMP garands worth it?

Man I miss the days when Field Grades were $525. I would never consider buying a Rack Grade back then.

Back then Field Grades were as good as today's Service Grades!

Glad I got mine then!

IMG_20210403_113810.jpg
IMG_20210403_113720.jpg
Garands 8-8-20 (2).jpg
Garands 8-8-20 (3).jpg
Garands 8-8-20 (1).jpg

CMP in 308 is a great shooter. I just play with my real ones. All but dad’s are CMP. Hand picked with staff support is highly recommended for novices.
If shooting a few clips through a garand doesn’t make you giggle you may need to see your dr.

Must be a very new limit. I know he bought six last year. Two trips, three each trip.

The CMP website itself lists a limit of eight per year, in a couple different places:

They do seem to have different rules for different firearms (i.e. the one per lifetime on the 1911's), so maybe that's where the confusion is coming from. Also, maybe they restrict the number that you can pick up at the store per visit.

A while back I became interested in the Garand. Being a sailor I ran across information about a unique series of Garands that were re-barrelled in .308 by the navy as they had surplus of .308 vs 30-06. There had been attempts to add some insert to the chamber for .308 but it was considered a failure so the navy commissioned new barrels in .308. The story goes some of these were "tweaked" by the armory and were extremely accurate and used by the top navy competition shooters. These rare guns were given as awards to senior level officers upon retirement. Very rare and expensive if you can find one. Further down the rabbit hole I discovered there were a number of the same barrels that were released to the public. I tracked one down based on the serial number that was built on a numbers matching Harrington & Richardson Garand. Kind of special as H&R started production in 1952 the year I was born but more importantly H&R was likely similar to what my Dad carried in the Korean War. Have not fired it yet but love this piece of history and looking forward to shooting it!

Only if you want the greatest battle implement ever devised that has been gone through by people who know them at a fair price.

In all seriousness I love my rack grade garand. If I had to pick one rifle to be stuck with, it would probably be the one.

A while back I became interested in the Garand. Being a sailor I ran across information about a unique series of Garands that were re-barrelled in .308 by the navy as they had surplus of .308 vs 30-06. There had been attempts to add some insert to the chamber for .308 but it was considered a failure so the navy commissioned new barrels in .308. The story goes some of these were "tweaked" by the armory and were extremely accurate and used by the top navy competition shooters. These rare guns were given as awards to senior level officers upon retirement. Very rare and expensive if you can find one. Further down the rabbit hole I discovered there were a number of the same barrels that were released to the public. I tracked one down based on the serial number that was built on a numbers matching Harrington & Richardson Garand. Kind of special as H&R started production in 1952 the year I was born but more importantly H&R was likely similar to what my Dad carried in the Korean War. Have not fired it yet but love this piece of history and looking forward to shooting it!
Those navy 308 garands are amazing shooters, you’ll love it

7FB00D3A-F860-4BE7-A7EF-39D4EEADC638.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom