• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are j-frames really useless?

outdoorsman4880

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
135   0
Reaction score
I had a beef with this one instructor who was former LE. I'll admit this individual was a giant douchebag and disrespectful saying .38 j-frames are useless. I don't know about y'all but my shooting at 7 yards isn't the best, but I can confidently shoot my 642 and take out a bad guy. I like my Glocks , m&p, and 1911, but j-frames are serviceable and accurate as long as you practice.

Attachments

• IMG_20220626_104823182~2.jpg
    IMG_20220626_104823182~2.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 64
Not trying to steer away from the subject at all but a while back I saw a clip of a training video to represent an active shooter situation in a class room.

They actually had a single person in the class CCW some type of paint ball style pistol and already aware of the doom coming into the class room.

They did several scenes using a random untrained person as well as a fully vetted super shooter who did regular competition run and gun style… guess what, the super shooter missed all of his shots possibly because he was training 99% on still targets not real life threat training.

It was eye opening and made me switch up a few things personally

The 38spl round was for many decades the minimum acceptable round for LE/defensive use. Any revolver is never going to have an auto-jammer issue. Failure to feed, failure to eject, and a failure to fire is simply corrected by pulling the trigger again.

The FBI has reported that 90+% of all shootings take place at a distance of less than 7 yards and use less than 3 rounds of ammo.

A J-frame is going to reliably shoot 5 +P rounds all day, any day. You may not like the kick but it’ll do the trick.

Nobody wants to get shot with a bb gun or a sling-shot.

I carried one for a long while."For me" It's an up close and personal gun unless you're a shooting prodigy. I can shoot the Shield better than the 642 but, the 642 is easier to pocket carry.

For "normal" problems like a random car jacking the 642 should be fine. If you decide to try and stop a mass shooter then I wouldn't want a 642.

Its also not something I'd want as a woods/trail gun. IMHO it's a great pocket carry urban option for most situations IF you can shoot it accurately.

That quote about having a gun is better than the one left at home ect...

Back
Top Bottom