• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are my AR15 gas rings messed up? Or is this correct?

alnen

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
230   0
Reaction score
I've been having occasional stove piping on a suppressed ar pistol in 300 bo. I bought a new extractor spring and h2 buffer, but while installing them I noticed my gas rings looked not quite right. This is a palmetto state ar.

Attachments

• 20170428_214125.jpg
    20170428_214125.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 20170428_214108.jpg
    20170428_214108.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 143
When in doubt, replace them! Personally, I like the one-piece McFarland gas ring, but I've never had any issues with the 3 separate rings, either.

is the one ring on the bolt side (last one on the right in your pics) whole? all 3 should be the same, with the same size gaps, and the gaps just not lined up of course. it may be the camera angle or carbon buildup, but looks like you missing half that gas ring. also a worn or broken ring will have a bigger gap then the other 2.

there are people here waaaayyyy more knowledgeable than me on this stuff and im sure they will chime in when they wake up tomorrow lol. ive never messed with 300BO or suppressor stuff lol. but if they are all there and good next step i would check is gas port size. but i would go shoot it with the new buffer you got first before messing with anything else to see if that fixed the stove piping.

is the one ring on the bolt side (last one on the right in your pics) whole? all 3 should be the same, with the same size gaps, and the gaps just not lined up of course. it may be the camera angle or carbon buildup, but looks like you missing half that gas ring. also a worn or broken ring will have a bigger gap then the other 2.

there are people here waaaayyyy more knowledgeable than me on this stuff and im sure they will chime in when they wake up tomorrow lol. ive never messed with 300BO or suppressor stuff lol. but if they are all there and good next step i would check is gas port size. but i would go shoot it with the new buffer you got first before messing with anything else to see if that fixed the stove piping.

No, it looks like the last ring is not whole. The first two look the same, the third looks half gone to me. Would that be what's causing my failures to eject? Or is that another problem?

No, it looks like the last ring is not whole. The first two look the same, the third looks half gone to me. Would that be what's causing my failures to eject? Or is that another problem?

You can run a bolt with one ring. Do the test above, if it passes it's not a gas ring problem but I would go ahead and replace them.

Does it lock back on an empty mag?

You can run a bolt with one ring. Do the test above, if it passes it's not a gas ring problem but I would go ahead and replace them.

Does it lock back on an empty mag?

Yes it does lock back on an open mag. The malfunctions have all been failures to eject resulting in stove pipes.

if its not all there i would buy a new set. they are only a couple dollars, not expensive at all. and it could for sure be the cause of stovepipes.

Back
Top Bottom