• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are older Z3's garbage?

oh god run away and run away fast from the z3. they are expensive to repair, the engines arnt very lively the 1.8 and 1.9 were actually lower hp than the Miata so you have to go for the 2.8. the 2.8 is also going to be the most expensive one you can find. The is all crowned off with one of the ****test transmission I've ever driven. It also is heavier and just doesn't feel near as much fun, all in all a car to stay away from in my opinion. If your looking at a 2 seater Miata is the best option but older ones are now increasing in value so look for an NB or if size is a concern look for an NC ( I know of almost no one who cant fit in one comfortably), followed very closely by the s2000, would MAYBE look at a sky redline after that

oh god run away and run away fast from the z3. they are expensive to repair, the engines arnt very lively the 1.8 and 1.9 were actually lower hp than the Miata so you have to go for the 2.8. the 2.8 is also going to be the most expensive one you can find. The is all crowned off with one of the ****test transmission I've ever driven. It also is heavier and just doesn't feel near as much fun, all in all a car to stay away from in my opinion. If your looking at a 2 seater Miata is the best option but older ones are now increasing in value so look for an NB or if size is a concern look for an NC ( I know of almost no one who cant fit in one comfortably), followed very closely by the s2000, would MAYBE look at a sky redline after that
I doubt I'd ever own a roadster but if it wasn't a classic, it would have to be a S2000 I think.

My mother had a Baby Blue 2001 Z3 when we were growing up, only got rid of it about 3 years ago. By the time she sold it, it had started appreciating in value as it only had 20k miles on it.
Man that thing would purr, and was pretty fast on the days she was out of town. :becky:
The only issues she ever ran into was with the fan breaking here in 2012, and a mouse/rat ate an electrical wire out in Commifornia...

I doubt I'd ever own a roadster but if it wasn't a classic, it would have to be a S2000 I think.

s2000's are great because they need absolutely nothing done. its all properly set up. That coupled with the fact that mods are a GIANT pain in the ass to install means that its actually not that hard trying to find one totally stock and not riced out. Biggest issue with them is they just simply wont ever be "cheap" even high millage cars go for a good bit but that also means if you find a nice stock low millage one there is very little risk of loosing money

s2000's are great because they need absolutely nothing done. its all properly set up. That coupled with the fact that mods are a GIANT pain in the ass to install means that its actually not that hard trying to find one totally stock and not riced out. Biggest issue with them is they just simply wont ever be "cheap" even high millage cars go for a good bit but that also means if you find a nice stock low millage one there is very little risk of loosing money

My biggest issue are that they have zero torque. You have to keep them in higher RPM's to have any fun. The gearboxes are way better and pedal placement is leaps and bounds better than a Miata, but you can get a NA car, boost it and get coilovers and tires for what a descent S2000 costs and have a car that is much cheaper to maintain.

My biggest issue are that they have zero torque. You have to keep them in higher RPM's to have any fun. The gearboxes are way better and pedal placement is leaps and bounds better than a Miata, but you can get a NA car, boost it and get coilovers and tires for what a descent S2000 costs and have a car that is much cheaper to maintain.

I'd agree with all of this, that's why I bought my mazdaspeed last month instead of an s2000. I came in waayyy cheaper than the s2000's I was looking at with similar millage and I have no doubt my car's quicker than a s2000. I'd love to have one but you can just go so much more car when you go the Miata route

This^

Im at 12k for my 06 GT with the full exhaust/tune & Ohlins coilovers. Adding the supercharged 2.5 will push me to17k+/- for a sub 2600lb 300whp toy. A turbo will push those numbers to the 350whp range with the factory 2.0.

This^

Im at 12k for my 06 GT with the full exhaust/tune & Ohlins coilovers. Adding the supercharged 2.5 will push me to17k+/- for a sub 2600lb 300whp toy. A turbo will push those numbers to the 350whp range with the factory 2.0.

supercharged nc sounds like that would be a blast. there is just so much you can get out of them for so little. im currently at 6500 once I sold off some extras for my 04 msm GT and that's at 77000. Already had tien monoflex coilovers, exhaust, upgraded intercooler, wheels and tires and some other other upgraded reliability mods. im expecting to put another ~2000-2500 in it and I should be around 240hp and still under 10k. pretty much all s2000's under 10k were over 130k, so i'll be in a car with similar power but lighter, better suspension and much lower millage for the price I'd pay. long live the Miata.

now if only I could get my hands on one of those 500hp v8 ND's I've seen, then I think I could have some real fun :evil:

Back
Top Bottom